LaunchBox Community Forums

[Request] Compressed Images = Faster Load Times

GunerX

Ive been noticing that some images that launchbox scrapes are very good quality and also very small file sizes....while others are very very large file sizes (6 or even 7 MB for a single image). this results in slower load times (especially when we have around 5,000+ images) and it takes up A LOT of space on the drives.

I am currently going through all of my folders and (slowly) compressing the images into much more manageable sizes using TinyPNG.com.

Heres an example of what I mean: TYlqBC3.jpg

I recommend that you work together with them to get all images uploaded to the DB to be compressed by their servers and then returned to the DB. They have a developer API section on their site aswell. https://tinypng.com/developers

Edited by GunerX

10 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

I agree this would definitely help people that have lower end PC's and save a load of server bandwidth at the same time, I've not seen a comparison of the before and after image. So if they look the same then it makes total sense too go down that route.

there is a comparison example on their home page. also i compared 3 images (1920x1080) before and after compression, I could not see a difference.

The service is free, try it out for yourself.

9 hours ago, Tommy1981 said:

I would also like to see this done. Maybe even add a feature right into launch box that will compress all of our images that we already have and delete the old bigger images.

a simple third party program that scrapes our own image folder and uploads-compresses-downloads-replaces the old images would be great. im sure one of the talented coders here could do it