LaunchBox Community Forums

Norton killed my Lauchbox. EXE How to fix

LameCranberry

So Norton got a bug up its *** and removed my Launchbox.exe file. My bigbox.eXe still works. I tried to copy the launchbox.exe from my laptop but its not working. Any advise how to fix. I no longer have access to downloads. 

Thanks

Update

OK never mind I was able to download 7.11. I have hundreds of games already configured so I really dont want to overwrite anything in my old install.  Can I simply use the EXE to repair it?

Edited by LameCranberry

6 minutes ago, LameCranberry said:

So Norton got a bug up its *** and removed my Launchbox.exe file. My bigbox.eXe still works. I tried to copy the launchbox.exe from my laptop but its not working. Any advise how to fix. I no longer have access to downloads. 

Thanks

You can go into your Launchbox/Updates folder and re-install the newest one there over the top of your current install.

5 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

I would even go so far as to abandon Norton, there are far better options out there and free ones at that like BitDefender or Avast just to name two. Norton and McAfee are probably two of the worst anti virus programs out there and have been for a long time.

Couldn't agree more. I was actually looking into Avast. 

Avast is and has been been pretty good to me in the past but I did have a recent problem with it where an update caused my system to not boot past the Windows logo and had to reinstall windows. Up until that point though I had been using it for quite while without issue so I would chalk that up to a one off piece of rotten luck. Right now I am using BitDefender and I have also used that quite a bit over the years and it is quite good and it is what I have on my parents computer. Avira and Panda anti virus are two other reasonable choices.

Norton used to be good a very long time ago until they decided they were going to the "full security suite" type of product and since then their actual virus protection has gone to shit much like McAfee. If I were to actually pay for an anti virus I would either pay for the paid version of BitDefender or most likely Kaspersky but i'm a cheap bastard and not willing to pay for anti virus lol.

But even Microsoft doesn't recommend that since it's just the basic better than nothing protection. Hell it's better than most of the other free anti virus software out there which is why I suggest BitDefender of Avast.

1 minute ago, LameCranberry said:

I thought Kaspersky was in some kind of trouble recently. 

Nah, that's just American paranoia over Trump and Russia because it is a Russian company.

• 2 years later...
On 10/9/2017 at 7:15 PM, neil9000 said:

You can go into your Launchbox/Updates folder and re-install the newest one there over the top of your current install.

Hi, do you just double click on the last setup application in the updates folder and reinstall the thing? or copy and paste some files somewhere??

Thanks.

• 3 years later...