LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox messing up NES save files

GunerX

so I just now noticed that when I play a NES game through Launchbox that has a built in save feature, it will only work while the game is still running. If I turn the game off, then back on again, the saves are gone.

But if I run the game through NEStopia without launchbox, I get these nice save files that work just fine.

I did some testing, and sure enough, run a game through launchbox (set to open with NEStopia) and no such save file gets created.

????? how do I fix this? (and dont say use Retroarch, I hate that thing)

Sounds like some sort of conflict with how Launchbox is closing it out but I don't know for certain since I do not use the stand alone Nestopia. If that is the case then you may want to look into an AHK script to close it down in a manner that Nestopia agrees with.

And since you said you hate Retroarch have you given puNES or Mesen a try at all ? Both are really top notch NES emulators.

7 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Sounds like some sort of conflict with how Launchbox is closing it out but I don't know for certain since I do not use the stand alone Nestopia. If that is the case then you may want to look into an AHK script to close it down in a manner that Nestopia agrees with.

And since you said you hate Retroarch have you given puNES or Mesen a try at all ? Both are really top notch NES emulators.

tested. you are correct. i removed my ahk script for "esc" and now it saves it.

hmmmmm anyone know an ahk script for NEStopia exiting while also saving?

Not sure what AHK script you were using but I just took a few minutes to test some stuff out and this seems to be working for me.

$Esc::
  Send, !{F4}
  Return

I used Zelda as my testing game and using the above script closes the emulator generates a save file in the \Nestopia\save folder.

I do highly recommend giving puNES a try though, it's such a good NES emulator.

Just now, lordmonkus said:

Not sure what AHK script you were using but I just took a few minutes to test some stuff out and this seems to be working for me.

Send, !{F4}
  Return

I used Zelda as my testing game and using the above script closes the emulator generates a save file in the \Nestopia\save folder.

i will try both.

the main reason I dont want to use retroarch is its way too bugy (yah I know, everyone says its the best, just fiddle with it, configure it blah blah blah, but I did, i spent days messing with it, its a bugy mess and I dont want to deal with it anymore)

Retroarch is far from buggy but I will admit the UI can be a bit overwhelming, however you can do some very awesome things with it like per game and per emulator controls and shaders if you are into them.

I suggested puNES because it is amazingly well done and is 98-99% accurate compared to Nestopia which is around the 83% mark according to Bizhawks accuracy tests http://tasvideos.org/EmulatorResources/NESAccuracyTests.html

11 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Send, !{F4}
  Return

this doesnt seem to work????

am i supposed to hit the ESC key? or alt F4???

hitting esc just opens up the menu and asks "are you sure you want to close"

I am wanting to bypass all of this.

nvm. i found the setting to "confirm on exit" and unticked it

Edited by GunerX

5 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Retroarch is far from buggy but I will admit the UI can be a bit overwhelming, however you can do some very awesome things with it like per game and per emulator controls and shaders if you are into them.

I suggested puNES because it is amazingly well done and is 98-99% accurate compared to Nestopia which is around the 83% mark according to Bizhawks accuracy tests http://tasvideos.org/EmulatorResources/NESAccuracyTests.html

nah. the menu's are fine. its just buggy

i never set any Turbo button at all but every single button is still being set to Turbo. that and some of the "cores" simply dont function. I tried every available PS1 emulator core (I only saw 2 of them????) and none of them worked, they just crashed over and over and over when trying to run a rom.

1 minute ago, GunerX said:

i never set any Turbo button at all but every single button is still being set to Turbo.

That sounds like a very weird control issue and not one I have ever run into or heard anyone have before.

2 minutes ago, GunerX said:

I tried every available PS1 emulator core (I only saw 2 of them????) and none of them worked, they just crashed over and over and over when trying to run a rom.

You either had bad bios files or incompatible disk images with its cores.

But anyways, you don't want to use it and I am not even suggesting you use it but it certainly is not buggy. Sure it may have a bug or two in it somewhere like any other software out there but I personally have never encountered any bugs.

2 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

That sounds like a very weird control issue and not one I have ever run into or heard anyone have before.

You either had bad bios files or incompatible disk images with its cores.

But anyways, you don't want to use it and I am not even suggesting you use it but it certainly is not buggy. Sure it may have a bug or two in it somewhere like any other software out there but I personally have never encountered any bugs.

then what image am i supposed to use? epsxe reads my bios and roms just fine. 

All the information on what a core wants can be found in the core information screen by loading the core and then the information screen. It shows what file types and the bios files required, it even tells you if your bios are present or missing if they are incorrectly named or incorrect md5 checksum.

59e9336155744_2017-10-1919_20_07-RetroArchBeetlePSX0.9_44.1ba67439__Frames_1280.thumb.png.12eb2f1b4f1074dd0af36468f3002af4.png