LaunchBox Community Forums

sound\performance problems with Retroarch

Mindhack

Hey guys! I'm a little new to retroarch but not new to emulation. So I'm new to the application. I just recently found it and installed it onto my computer. I have a few cores installed; DeSmuME, Beetle PSX and PCSX ReARMed. When I run a rom or iso, the game will run but the audio is pretty choppy. I thought this was just the case during the full-motion video sections but the audio during gameplay is choppy as well. My audio latency was set at 64ms. I ended u increasing it all the way to 512ms. That helped a bit but not by much. I turned video threading on and tried the different audio and video drivers. some of the drivers made the problem worse so I ended up sticking with the defaults. Still though gameplay audio is kind of choppy. I put the framerate monitor on and strangely enough the fps starts off around 52fps, still with choppy audio but at times dives down to 38fps or 32 fps and with worse audio. This is the case with any of the cores that i use. I've turned Hard GPU Sync on, and I've layed with the Hard GPU sync frames settings. I've turned on vsync, and I,'ve turned on threaded video. none of this gives me smooth audio. I'm honestly not sure where to go from here. I might have left some details out. I've kind of been just fooling around with the options. Please feel free to ask me about anything I might have missed. But does anyone have any ideas? I put some of my specs below.  

Intel Core i7-3537U CPU 2.00GHz

8gb RAM

Nvidia GForce 710m

Windows 8.1

Retroarch 1.6.7

Video Driver: gl

Audio Driver: opengl

Audio Resampler Driver: sinc

2 Ghz is pretty slow for DS and PS1 emulation to begin with using Retroarch so that would be my first guess as to the problem. I don't know if the stand alone version of Demume would be better for you or not but for PS1 try out ePSXe 2.05, I've run that on a 1.5 GHz system just fine.

5 minutes ago, Mindhack said:

My audio latency was set at 64ms. I ended u increasing it all the way to 512ms.

512 is way to high and you shouldn't have to go above 64.

6 minutes ago, Mindhack said:

I've turned Hard GPU Sync on

This will increase system requirements.

thanks LordMonkus for relying so fast! I have ePsxe on my machine. and I have the Scph1001 bios. but whenever i run any .bin or iso with ePSXe the screen goes black like it's about to start up and then the program crashes and stops responding. here is a screenshot of my epsxe settings https://imgur.com/a/ppKfu

this problem with esxe is what led me to retroarch. but if i could get epsxe to work i'd be fine with that as well. 

Edited by Mindhack

ok, i changed the cpu overclocking to x1. That didn't change anything. BUT, when i reinstalled that visual c++ library, it lets epsxe run the .bin files, which feels great! but they move and stutter very slowly. It is most definitely a step in the right direction. 

The bios go in the \retroarch\system folder and they have to be named correctly (scph1001.bin), case matters and they have to match the md5 checksum. You can verify that the bios are correct and detected by loading the core and then checking the information for that core. Also you can check the file types accepted by the core but generally you want .cue + .bin format, .iso files generally won't work.

2017-10-27 20_00_44-RetroArch   __  __ Frames_ 1280.png