LaunchBox Community Forums

Can't use my controller in the emulator cores.

Nick_Arrow

Hi!

I have decided to use Retroarch as my default emulator together with Launchbox. 

The problem is that when loaded a core, let's say Nestopia, it won't recognize my controller when starting a game. I can use my controller in the retroarch menu tough.

What is the problem? I have tried to remap the controller a thousand times by now, reinstall the program several times but it seems that every time I restart Retroarch the settings have changed with the input mapping. 

When I load a game it says that my controller are in the port # 0. Why not port # 1???

Sometimes my controller input mapping is working in the game but when I quit Retroarch and start it again it won't recognize my controller in the game. How come???

I have a Logitech Dual Action Controller and a Wired Xbox 360 controller but it's all the same problem with both of these.

I'm running on Windows 7 32-bit and have the stable install version of Retroarch called 1.6.9.

Please help! I've been sitting with this problem all the day and no solution. I have tried to Google but everything leads me to Retropie and other shit that doesn't involve Retroarch and these Controller input issue.

/Nick

Edited by Nick_Arrow

Not sure what to tell you, if your controller is working in the Retroarch menu and your controller is set to RetroPad it should work. I have never really had any weird issues with any of my controllers, they all just worked right out of the box aside from some custom rebinding.

For reference I have a wireless Logitech controller on my HTPC and on my main PC I have a wired XBox 360 controller and a Hori Fight Commander.

38 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

With a game loaded press F1 on the keyboard and go to the Quick Menu then Controls and see if it says Retropad. If it doesn't press left or right on the keyboard and see if it changes it so it does.

Ok, I found something interesting here.

I have always have "Retropad" enabled in this menu but I have found out that every time I start a new game I have to go to this menu and select something else and then again select "Retropad", then the controller works but I think it's weird that I have to do this every time I start a new game. Where could the problem be? A bug? 

Cant someone tell what the actual problem could be here? It seems that my Retroarch don't allow me to save my Dual Action Pro Controller settings after restart.

I have also spotted that all of a sudden I can't control the menu neither. With neither joypad buttons or keyboads buttons. What is the problem?

Is the version I'm running buggy? I have the stable 1.6.9 version.

Thanks!

Edited by Nick_Arrow

You have to set your controls once in the main ui without a core loaded, this will be your main default controls. Then if you want to change the controls for a specific core you need to load a game for that core, then drop into the ui with F1 or the guide button on a xbox controller, then go to the "quick menu" this is the important part, not the "settings/input" menu but the "quick menu" as the options here are for the specific core you have loaded, just scroll to controls and set them how you would like, then in the same menu is a "save core remap file" this will save the controls you just changed for the specific core only and they will be auto loaded when you start that core. 

I cant seem to find any info on that, but its quite a old controller in the style of a playstation controller so I wouldn't be surprised if it was dinput rather than xinput. Dinput does work in retroarch though, but of course they can not officially support every cheap 3rd party controller out there as there would be thousands of them. You say in your op that you also have a xbox controller I would stick to that personally because if its a official one then it will be guaranteed to work correctly.

I tried to setup with the xbox 360 controller. 

I reinstalled the Retroarch and mapped the controller for the Retroarch menu in Input>Input User 1 Binds.

Then I downloaded all updates. Downloaded the Nestopia core. Then scanned the directory for games.

I choosed Load Content>Collection>Picked A Game>Started the Retroarch. Hit the F1 Menu and the choose Controls.

I checked so all the configuration was in the way I wanted then saved the Core Game File. Quit the Retroarch, do the same

procedure again to start the same game. The game starts and the controller don't work again. Why? This is so boring..

It works if I go into the F1 Menu and to the Controls menu again but then I would have to do this every time I play and I guess

this is not meant to be?

I don't know if this is important but in the Retroarch folder>config>Nestopia there are different config files. I guess these are the game core files saved for each games. The thing is that these config files are all empty. Do this has something to do with my problem?

Edited by Nick_Arrow

7 hours ago, Nick_Arrow said:

Do Logitech belongs to the Xinput category?

That depends, my F710 wireless Logitech has a switch to toggle it between Xinput and Dinput.

I really wish I had an answer for you, if your controller is working in the menus it should work in the actual games as well. Retroarch does a great job of auto detecting controllers and working, things only get a bit funky if using really oddball 3rd party controllers or when you have multiple controllers and you want to assign different ones to different cores.

Hi! I think I have solved the problem. I tried another core, the FCEUmm emulator and the problem is not there at all.

It saves the input configuration in every nes game and everything is as i ever wished. 

What could be the problem with the Nestopia core? I thought the Nestopia was the best but from now on I'm only going to use the FCEUmm!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Everybody!