LaunchBox Community Forums

Updating metadata

Aevans0001

So I have been redoing all of my images.  My issue is sometimes when I only want to update a couple of fields of images or music or whatever, It quickly goes through all the files and downloads nothing.  I have manually updated some of the same files.  Any sort of hints or tricks I can try?

I don't quite understand what you mean I'm sorry.

"It quickly goes through all the files and downloads nothing" - As in after you go through the metadata wizard, and it says alright starting downloads now, at the bottom of launchbox it shows as having identified the media, then not downloading it/moving onto the next one? If yes, this usually means you already have the media downloaded, and you needed to either go "Tools > Refresh All Images", failing that try clearing your cache (be warned, if you have a huge library, there's going to be a performance hit for a while as it rebuilds), and then failing that again, I'd take a look at your folder structures and ensure they match as they should (I recently had an issue where launchbox wouldn't download media and wouldn't show in LB, it was related to updating from a very old version and the folder structure changing).

If you are just trying to add/download images from the launchbox/emumovies databases for the first time to games you have already imported in Launchbox? If this is the case there shouldn't be any "tricks" really required, just bulk select the titles you want to edit with Ctrl+Click, and go Tools > Download Metadata and Media - You can of course skip the selecting part and do this for your whole library, but be warned, especially if you've made a lot of custom changes to your titles and metadata, this can cause unwanted side effects.

The only time there should be issues is if you've edited the name of the game to such a degree or changed the formatting of the title, for example if the db has the game as "Batman: Whatever" and you have it as "Batman Whatever", this can cause the scraper to not match your library with the database correctly - For me the best solution was to go through the small portion of games I had left like this, and update them individually with Right Click Game > Edit - This allowed me to match the title with whatever the database was looking for, download the media once the metadata was applied, and then set the name back to whatever I like. I'm rambling at this point though and not sure if any of this is what you mean.

A bit of clarification on the issueand hopefully I can help a bit more. :)

So what I meant was that after I loaded lets say NES, i forgot to click on clear logo, so I went back in and clicked clear logo. Which should then search all my highlighted games and either launchbox or emumovies (whichever I selected).  The problem is it just scans all the files in like 5 seconds and doesn't download anything and then says 500 games updated.   This is just an example of what I was speaking of.  I don't remember the actual occurence, but it seemed to be whenever I was looking for 1 or 2 things.  Also didn't launchbox used to download manuals?  I see the option but it never downloaded any in all the systems I tried.

Yes exactly what you say happens, happens if you don't click on "Search for game information from the Launchbox Games Database (Recommended)"

It will not download anything. Please try it again after clicking "Search for game information from the Launchbox Games Database (Recommended)"