LaunchBox Community Forums

Cover images disappearing

Teusan

Hi guys, 

I had Launchbox 7.9 working fine until a month ago it started messing with cover pictures randomly. When I check the images folder everything's fine, I have everything in there but most pictures won't show up in launchbox or in the rom properties when I edit it. I can add manually the images and then it shows normally. 

It seems really random as it happens to games I've played recently or games I haven't played at all. 

I am having the same problem; I am running LaunchBox 7.16, and after launching a fullscreen emulator and closing it LaunchBox will often no longer have the downloaded media for the title (cover, art, etc.) I am still in the process of testing, but this has happened after launching the most recent versions of both RAVba and Nestopia.

Edit: Also RASnes9x; It's probably safe to assume it happens with anything that goes fullscreen.

Edited by SuperChris
Tested another emulator

Yes and it can be any game on any platform, it's a really weird behaviour. In 20 platforms maybe 12 are concerned and within these platforms maybe 5 to 10% of the games lose random pictures : mostly front cover and fanarts. 

Can anyone tell which file stores the images location ? Perhaps I could make a backup of this file and restore it in case. 

Edited by Teusan
Add a question

Nothing is being lost and the images don't disappear. Maybe you have more than one front box file for some games for example, and you set LB to show the front box, but it randomly changes. I have seen that, but you shouldn't have more than one front box for one game in this example. If you see something like that, it's best to edit game and delete the front box art images that you don't want and just keep one front box image. This is just an example. 

I can assure that if you don't have any funny business going on, your images are not going to randomly change or disappear. This type of thing is usually caused by some changes the user doesn't realize they are making.

Edit. The xml files inside your Launchbox\Data folder is where all this stuff gets stored.

Edited by ckp

I'm having this same issue - if I run a game then return to the LaunchBox library view, all its images will be missing.  If I go to game edit view, other metadata is still present, but it shows 0/0 images.  Images still exist in the directory.  Issue seems to have started after updating to 7.16, though that could be unrelated - it's been at least a month since I last used LaunchBox.   Hoping I do not need to reinstall and rebuild my whole library to resolve this.  Did anyone find a fix yet?

Yeah I had this issue start today. I know for a fact I had pictures for all my games and now today a lot are missing. If you right click and go to edit it shows 0 images.  Side note I also had the XML settings crash happen today. I had to delete that and run launchbox again.  Just kind of give another example, my SNES boxes are all set to 3D and when you click on one to switch it back to front box that image is no longer there.

Edited by Madtown28

I got the same problem.

At first i had it with mame.. whenever i would launch a game its playing like normal but when exiting the game the front cover and metadata pictures were gone.

But after a while it just fixed itself?

But now my neo-geo games are having the same issue, it doens't matter what game you run all of them get deleted(or not shown) when quitting a game.

I'm using retroarch and tried some other gaming platforms but they keep all the images.

Its just Neo-geo on Retroarch at the moment.

Also didn't move or delete some files.

Its not the worst problem... but its annoying

10 hours ago, Teusan said:

What I did 5 days ago, I redownloaded metadata and images and chose to replace existing metadata. I don't have this problem anymore. 

I don't know if it is fixed for good but for now it seems OK. If it comes back I'll tell.

Worked like a charm Teusan!

For anybody else with the problem

Select the games (or just control + A for everything)

Go to Tools - Download Metadata and media - choose the settings like you would normally and voila

Its all working perfectly now.. maybe its just an bug that occurs now and then?