LaunchBox Community Forums

Animated GIF support for box art/backgrounds/clear logos, etc.?

dumlaox

First off, apologies if this was posted before. I tried doing a search but came up empty.

I was messing around with one of the themes and decided to try and use an animated gif for one of the clear logos on a game in the library. When adding it to Launchbox, the gif animates in the game's edit screen but not in Launchbox itself. When I go to a theme, the gif fails to animate there are well. I know that support for animated gifs are in themes but does that extend to some of the basics like game backgrounds or clear logos or box art, for example?

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

• Game On 1

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...
On 2/28/2018 at 3:48 PM, dumlaox said:

First off, apologies if this was posted before. I tried doing a search but came up empty.

I was messing around with one of the themes and decided to try and use an animated gif for one of the clear logos on a game in the library. When adding it to Launchbox, the gif animates in the game's edit screen but not in Launchbox itself. When I go to a theme, the gif fails to animate there are well. I know that support for animated gifs are in themes but does that extend to some of the basics like game backgrounds or clear logos or box art, for example?

Any update on this? 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 2/28/2018 at 3:48 PM, dumlaox said:

Did you ever figure out this issue? 

On 2/28/2018 at 4:48 PM, dumlaox said:

When adding it to Launchbox, the gif animates in the game's edit screen but not in Launchbox itself. When I go to a theme, the gif fails to animate there are well.

This might not be what you were asking about, and you would have to edit the [LaunchBox] theme.

In my test, I used the wait-spinning-circle animated gif as the games' Clear Logo ('cause I don't have any animated clear logo gif's 🙃).  This is the top part of the games detail pane (right side).

Using @faeran's Default Plus LaunchBox theme, 

Create a copy of the theme's folder, 

Edit GameDetailsView.xaml (in the Views subfolder)

On line #11, insert a new line...

xmlns:gif="clr-namespace:WpfAnimatedGif;assembly=Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows"

On line #238, comment out the that starts with <Image Source="{Binding Game.ClearLogoImagePath}"......

Insert a new line (or just replace the above line. same thing) 

<Image gif:ImageBehavior.AnimatedSource="{Binding Game.ClearLogoImagePath}" Height="110" MaxWidth="350" RenderTransformOrigin="0.5 0.5">

It should look like this

image.thumb.png.8b18674b31fd06d1448aef73e99ce955.png

image.thumb.png.42e7cfc4b49d11f219a9604c891d1492.png

Save and close. Start LB and set it to use the [copied] theme you just modified.

Thanks very much for the post. Following your instructions, that indeed worked for Launchbox. Tried it on the default BigBox theme as well but that just resulted in errors when the image is on-screen. I assume something else needs to be done there but at least this is one step closer to learning about the code. Maybe it'll even get to the point where webp would be viable with some tinkering.

• Game On 1