LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox not starting...

Melter

Hi all. I just purchased Launchbox Premium the other day and I am running into an issue that Bigbox will not start. Launchbox works fine but when trying to start Bigbox nothing happens. In task manager I see the process appear for a moment and then disappear. No errors, no messages, nothing. Needless to say I am a bit frustrated after paying $50 to be running into issues right off the bat.. 

I have tried reinstalling Launchbox several times, Updated Geforce drivers to latest, Uninstalled afterburner, nothing seems to work.

I am running Windows 10 Pro with Core i7 4790k, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060.

Can anyone please assist?

Hi and welcome to the community. :) 

Well that's a strange one for sure, and not something I have heard of before. Just to check before we dive deeper you have your license file in the launchbox folder and your license name appears in launchbox at the top left of the screen?

Just now, harryoke said:

Do you have launchbox installed on system drive? If so try running as admin ?? 

Good idea but we actually advise against running as admin, as it can cause emulators to require elevation when a game is launched, which is obviously not ideal for a bigbox setup.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

Good idea but we actually advise against running as admin, as it can cause emulators to require elevation when a game is launched, which is obviously not ideal for a bigbox setup.

Yes I had this problem of emu requiring elevation so I moved to an external

I have tried running big box from within launchbox, as well as from the desktop shortcut and from within the folder itself, both normally and as an administrator, with the same results.

Also I have installed all the VC++ redistributables going back to 2010, confirmed that i do not have Geforce Experience installed, and have the latest .NET framework as well.

1 minute ago, Melter said:

I have tried running big box from within launchbox, as well as from the desktop shortcut and from within the folder itself, both normally and as an administrator, with the same results.

Also I have installed all the VC++ redistributables going back to 2010, confirmed that i do not have Geforce Experience installed, and have the latest .NET framework as well.

Are you running any antivirus software that could be blocking the .exe?

Also do you have a drive on your PC that isn't the C drive? Have you tried importing a rom or two there and testing it? Just so we can rule out whether or not its a system drive permissions issue like @harryoke was hinting at.

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Are you running any antivirus software that could be blocking the .exe?

Also do you have a drive on your PC that isn't the C drive? Have you tried importing a rom or two there and testing it? Just so we can rule out whether or not its a system drive permissions issue like @harryoke was hinting at.

Only antivirus is the windows defender that comes with windows 10. Also I have direct x and VLC installed and verified functioning.

6 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Well the only thing I can suggest at the moment is to try it on another drive and see if you get the same behaviour, its really not a issue I have heard of before so I'm slightly confused to be honest with you.

I assume you are using Launchbox 8.2?

i'm on 8.1, how can i update to 8.2?

Yeah I'm guessing its some sort of external influence, but you probably expect me to say that. :) 

Ill tag @Jason Carr here to see if he has any ideas, I'm not a coder or a guy who knows a whole lot about the ins and outs of PC's, I just know how to use the program really well, but the fact that one .exe works but the other doesn't is baffling to me.

Well to be honest its not broken in 8.1, at least not for anyone else. I mean you can try it if you want, but betas are just that, beta, and will likely have more bugs than the stable version so I would advise against it at this point as you don't want to introduce something that may cause more, but unrelated issues that may confuse us solving this one.

I don't want to repeat myself but have you tried another drive to see if its a system wide issue, or just a drive issue?