LaunchBox Community Forums

Self Booting Prototype Box Build

Did a lot of customizing on this build. It features an 2nd gen i7, 32GB RAM, 8TB hard drive, 1050ti. I did use my own parameter coding for most of the setup and figured out some stuff that others may have yet to see. It does self boot without the assistance of keyboard and mouse. The PS3 and Wii controls both link to the machine all in one setup without changing anything. The background animation is a customized blue glass transparent background of actual gameplay of each console designed by myself. Its a very clean setup and look. Please subscribe for more upcoming updates, especially for the parameter coding that I used for each console.

Edited by aftershock14520

As far as using the PS3 and Wii controllers all together on one system with no conflicts, you have to use two bluetooth adapters and they both must be different adapters, not the same. On Dolphin I use the "Real Wiimote" setting for one adapter. The adapter that I found for the Wii controller use is a cheap 4.0 bluetooth adapter on ebay, nothing fancy. The PS3 controllers run off of an Insignia bluetooth adapter from Best Buy. The PS3 controllers run off of ScpToolkit, which modifies the bluetooth adapter to exclusively work with only PS3 controllers. Both bluetooth adapters work perfect together and connect PS3 and Wii controllers separately with no interference.

Oh interesting.  I have the mayflash dolphin bar which is working great with all of my wired controllers (2 xbox360, 2 ps1, 2 SNES, and 3 gamecube).  There's never any issues, but i'm very hesitant to add some bt wireless controllers for fear of ruining all the orders of the wired controllers.  I've never really gotten a straight answer as to whether or not the bt adapter will "take up" spots even with the controllers turned off, so that when you turn them back on it doesn't shift any order.  I just don't know if it behaves that way.  Or if, every time you turn the wireless controllers on, they do shift everything because the bt adapter does NOT take up any slots by just being there plugged in.  If that makes any sense.  I know the dolphin bar takes up it's 4 spots even when the wiimotes are turned off, because there's never been any shift on my setup. 

I would not use the same bluetooth adapter for PS3 controllers because once you install the scptoolkit modification (allows you to run PS3 controllers in Windows) it will modify the driver of the bluetooth adapter so that it can only be used with the PS3 controllers and nothing else. This is why you should use a second adapter (different model and brand) for the PS3 controllers alone. In my case, I'm using the Insignia bluetooth adapter from Best Buy to transmit to PS3 controllers and it works fine.

Edited by aftershock14520

3 hours ago, aftershock14520 said:

I would not use the same bluetooth adapter for PS3 controllers because once you install the scptoolkit modification (allows you to run PS3 controllers in Windows) it will modify the driver of the bluetooth adapter so that it can only be used with the PS3 controllers and nothing else. This is why you should use a second adapter (different model and brand) for the PS3 controllers alone. In my case, I'm using the Insignia bluetooth adapter from Best Buy to transmit to PS3 controllers and it works fine.

Yes that totally makes sense, and it would be no issue to sacrifice an adapter for that.  But I still don't know if the adapter itself holds all the spots available for up to 4 ps3 controllers, or if any other adapter holds it's spots open while the controllers aren't turned on, like the wii dolphin bar does.  if it shifted all my wired, then i'd be up a crappy creek as far as re-mapping everything.

• 3 weeks later...

For an FYI for anyone else struggling like I have (This probably deserves it's own post and maybe we can put together a collective effort to address these issues) :

I have been fiddling around with the wiimotes for the past couple weeks. I also have the mayflash bar. My ideal setup is to keep the mayflash bar on dolphin mode at all times so I don't have to manually switch the button over every time I want to use the wii controllers. I also want to use the wii controllers for their accessories for other emulators (SNES classic controller for SNES emu, NES classic for NES games, N64 to Wii remote adapter for N64 games etc). At the same time I would like the ability to use two Xbox one controllers for PC games. Now like everyone else I have been running into issues. Here is what I have tried, and failed to get the results intended.

1)  I have tried two Wireless Wii Classic controller to PC

http://www.mayflash.com/Products/PCUSB/PC047.html

This was working fantastic with up to four regular classic controllers. (The adapters make it look like an ordinary DINPUT controller device under windows) As long as the adapters are plugged into the same USB ports all the time windows always kept the controllers in the proper order and I never had to redo my controller settings in the emulators after the first time. The downside is having to use an extra device you have to carry around.

I was problem free until my next purchase threw a wrench into everything:

The raphnet N64 to wii remote adapter http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/n64_to_wiimote/index.php
What this does is essentially plug into a wii remote (or in my case I was hoping my wireless classic controller adapter) and act like a classic controller.
I tried it with dolphin plugged into a wii remote and it worked great. I plugged it into the wireless controller adapter and it was a no go :(.
While plugged into the adapter one button press would act like I am pressing three, four or five buttons at once- for whatever damned reason it didn't work with this adapter. I am back to the drawing board.

2) I shelved my adapters and have been looking to use the wiimotes instead. So now I need some good third party software. I came across two programs called wiinusoft and wiinupro.

http://www.wiinupro.com/

Both programs are very similar in nature, they can read the wii remote input and output it as a XINPUT (xbox controller) device. First I tried out wiinusoft and it worked great for the new N64 adapter and all the other controllers; it was very promising. The downside is that it is using the XINPUT drivers. For some reason Windows only allows up to four XINPUT devices and you're out of luck if you want to play a pc game with any other XINPUT devices. The next issue I had was the program would constantly crash on me after plugging and unplugging controllers a couple times.

I turned to their other program Wiinupro. It has an option to feed into a virtual joystick which uses DINPUT, not XINPUT. Again, this seems promising but immediately I was met with hurdles. The program only supports ONE virtual joystick to be mapped to. So I put in the max buttons and pads and tried to map all four controllers to one virtual controller, but vjoy doesn't give you enough buttons/ control sticks for up to four classic controllers. The other downside to this program is that doesn't give you the option to run hidden and minimized into the tray.

3) I have come to the conclusion that I need to have the Wiiremotes be output as a four persistent DINPUT devices. If there is any programs that has worked for you guys please let me know. I have turned to a program called Freepie http://andersmalmgren.github.io/FreePIE/, and I think it will do what I want, but the programming is super confusing and I can't find much documentations or examples. I did find scripts for four wii remotes and four wiiremotes w/ the nunchucks, but nothing for classic controllers. It also only seems to connect to the controllers for one time after launch, if you turn your controller off and on it won't reconnect and you have to restart the program. This has been a horrible uphill battle. :(