LaunchBox Community Forums

Slowdown while playing Mame or Retroarch through Launchbox / Bigbox

noiseordinance

On 3/29/2018 at 9:00 PM, Lordmonkus said:

When you updated your video drivers did you install the GeForce Experience software ?

If so try reinstalling your video drivers but removing the GeForce Experience part of it. I don't know if this will solve your problem or not but it is something I ran into a few weeks back when I updated my Nvidia drivers and installed the GeForce Experience. After updating I noticed emulator issues and they went away after removing the software.

Hopefully this works for you.

Had the same issue.  Uninstalled GeForce Experience and it seemed to solve it.

• 3 years later...

Sadly, I think that this is a common problem of LB, I am a new user and installed MAME via import on 13.8 and 0.58 and that is slow as hell. If I load it direct from MAME then it is fine. I deinstalled MAME from my set as I managed to get 60 rom set and still the same problem.

I am using a 780 TI graphics card, I think 16 gig memory, but I am loading from a mechanical hard drive. I have not tried anything else as yet, but hang on I just tried loading a RSPC3 game and that is perfect and it is a much harder to run emulator.

Maybe a problem with the actual importer settings?

Regards

Mark

I will do this on a separate thread, so it is easier to find.  I have solved the above problem.

I removed LB from my mechanical hard drive, put onto my SSD and put the MAME roms on the SSD as well, this time it works great no stuttering etc etc.

The only thing that I will say is that the graphics are blocky, I use 10-Yard Fight for my test game, So I am going to have to go into MAME settings to get it less blocky, I know that this is a retro game, but I cannot remember the game in the arcades being this blocky, it is worse than Minecraft. E.G new games trying to look retro.

I might do this again, but keep my MAME roms on the mechanical and LB on my SSD to see if I get that same stutter and slow down and then I will edit this to reflect on my findings.

Regards

Mark

guys I have dozens of different emulators and I start them all one after the other in bigbox without any problems. 
If I start up mame I play without any problems but the annoyance comes when I return to bigbox, it runs badly, the feeling is that it's weighed down, the fps when navigating between games is jerky and if I start other emulators after mame they have serious stability problems.