LaunchBox Community Forums

Nintendo eShop / Virtual Console...

Z3R0B4NG

I'm currently adding Nintendo 3DS games to the Database as i have worked with Robin55 to make about 100 new 3DS 3D Box artwork and am still adding more for later ( https://emumovies.com/files/category/2099-artwork/ ), most of those games aren't in the DB at all yet. 
(i search and throw pictures at him, he makes the 3D Box art out of them. I get new 3D Boxes for MY collection and add them to the DB here as i go through my list etc. win win)  

Especially the eShop stuff is very hit and miss as there are no real "covers" in that sense, there are only those pictures on the eShop sites and i find plenty of 3D Box art has already crept in with nintendolife (.) com watermarks,
i'm trying to find better versions of those pictures as well to clean those up a bit while i'm at it.  

So, the eShop games are pretty obvious, just a little confusing sometimes when you don't actually know when and where something was released in digital or retail format or both...  but whatever.  

The problems start when we are talking "Virtual Console" games.  

First of all is the question, does it even make sense to emulate GameBoy and NES roms through Virtual Console eShop roms through Citra when you can just use the actual Game Boy or NES roms with the according emulators? ...probably not.  
But since those roms are out there and available i guess we should have entries for them in the DB anyway?  (opinions?)  

I just found a ROM for Donkey Kong that is available as NES and as GameBoy version.
https://www.nintendo.de/Spiele/NES/Donkey-Kong-780429.html
https://www.nintendo.de/Spiele/Game-Boy/Donkey-Kong-275550.html  

how would you differentiate between those 2 in the DB in a way that LaunchBox would still find the proper entry but complies with LaunchBox DB's naming convention?  

Or ...should i just not waste my time with those Virtual Console titles?

I wouldn't bother with Virtual Console for anything that's just a rom being sold. If it's a remaster or 3D version that changes the original in any way, I think it deserves it's own entry. We had this issue when figuring out what to do with the Wii, and we removed any Virtual Console entries from that platform.

A notable exception would be Donkey Kong: Original Edition, since that's a version of the original NES game modified to have all 4 levels. Or the Pokemon re-releases, since they have new functionality added.