LaunchBox Community Forums

problems with epsxe and gamepad

I don't have a PS4 to test out epsxe with, but I thought I'd point out a better (IMO) choice for PS1 emulation.  If you are using retroarch, I would suggest using the beetle psx hw core, and giving that a go for your PS1 games.  As I just mentioned, IMO it's a much better PS1 emulator, has more options, better visuals, and since it's a core via retroarch it uses alot of the built in features that comes with retroarch (save states, etc.).  Check out Simply Austin's video on the core in question, and how to configure it to look its best:

Sorry I couldn't help with the actual question you had, but in case you were not aware of this core for PS1 via retroarch I thought it might be helpful in another way.

CDBlue

NP.  Retroarch can take a little longer to get setup (esp. if you need to go hunting for the correct bios files needed for some cores).  But in the long run I find it's my go to emulator for many cases where a core is as good as, or better, than the stand alone emulator of choice.

FYI, notable exceptions where the stand alone emulators are still better to use even though there are corresponding retroarch cores for those systems are Citra (Nintendo 3DS emulator), Dolphin (Nintendo Gamecube and Wii emulator), PPSSPP (Playstation Portable emulator) and Mupen64Plus (Nintendo 64 emulator).  Those are 4 that I can think of off the top of my head where the cores are not as well developed, or perform not as well as the stand alone emulator counterparts.  There are likely more where this is the case, but those were the obvious ones I could think of while writing this.

Also, FYI, the bios files you likely have already for your EPSXE stand alone emulator will likely be fine to use with Retroarch and the core I mentioned above.  Just be sure to put them in the System folder that's in location whereever you install Retroarch.  I think Simply Austin covers it in his video, but in case he didn't I thought I'd mention it.  There are many videos out there on how to setup retroarch, where to put files when needed, etc. .. or you can always ask here and someone will likely help.

Edited by CDBlue

bios files usually don't need too much hunting down but setup tutorials are always welcome I am in the process of moving my entire collection onto launch box (as opposed to my current ungodly mess of folders) but it has proved too be somewhat of a challenge but I think it will be worthwhile if I can put my entire collection in one place