LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME only with 'Open With'

Luvkraft

Hey guys. I'm new to the Launchbox, and I watched some of Etta's videos, mainly with NeoGeo and MAME. NeoGeo went fine, MAME not so much. I've got a few .197's and when I double click on them they don't launch. If I right click and choose 'Open With' and MAME they load up. They rest of my games and systems load fine. I called myself doing verbetum of the videos, but I must not have. Anybody know what I could be doing wrong?

19 minutes ago, Luvkraft said:

Hey guys. I'm new to the Launchbox, and I watched some of Etta's videos, mainly with NeoGeo and MAME. NeoGeo went fine, MAME not so much. I've got a few .197's and when I double click on them they don't launch. If I right click and choose 'Open With' and MAME they load up. They rest of my games and systems load fine. I called myself doing verbetum of the videos, but I must not have. Anybody know what I could be doing wrong?

Sounds like that platform isnt associated with a emulator. Click on one of the games then use ctrl A to highlight all of the games in that platform, then right click one and go to edit, then click next and in the first dropdown pick emulator, and in the second pick your mame, finish out the wizard.

Also if you go to tools/manage emulators, double click mame and go to the associated platform tab make sue that the platform is listed there, and spelt exactly as it is in the left sidebar of Launchbox.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Sounds like that platform isnt associated with a emulator. Click on one of the games then use ctrl A to highlight all of the games in that platform, then right click one and go to edit, then click next and in the first dropdown pick emulator, and in the second pick your mame, finish out the wizard.

Also if you go to tools/manage emulators, double click mame and go to the associated platform tab make sue that the platform is listed there, and spelt exactly as it is in the left sidebar of Launchbox.

Thanks neil9000

So this solved my problem as well after having changed both Wii and 5200 from Retroarch cores to Full Dolphin and Kat5200.

My question is why was it necessary? I figured since I went in and changed the associated platform under emulators, that would change it for all.

40 minutes ago, RCNunya said:

Thanks neil9000

So this solved my problem as well after having changed both Wii and 5200 from Retroarch cores to Full Dolphin and Kat5200.

My question is why was it necessary? I figured since I went in and changed the associated platform under emulators, that would change it for all.

Its all about choice really, some people have multiple emulators for one system as some emus will run certain games better that others, so if adding a new emulator for a existing system suddenly changed the emulator for all your games in that platform then thats not a good way to handle it either. The "default" checkbox in the associated platform tab is used for all future imports for that system if checked, but it wont retroactively change what emulator is already set for that systems games.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Its all about choice really, some people have multiple emulators for one system as some emus will run certain games better that others, so if adding a new emulator for a existing system suddenly changed the emulator for all your games in that platform then thats not a good way to handle it either. The "default" checkbox in the associated platform tab is used for all future imports for that system if checked, but it wont retroactively change what emulator is already set for that systems games.

Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks!