LaunchBox Community Forums

Big Box and Emulators Start Up Issues

Bageena

I am having a strange issue with my P.C. not sure anyone can help. When I first boot up everything works great. I can launch Big Box no problem. If I exit out of Big Box and try to open it again without restarting my P.C. it takes almost 10 minutes to load sometimes longer. The issue isn't just isolated to big box. After whatever triggers, triggers Dolphin, Higan, Retroarch, Fusion, Virtual box all start taking a few minutes to load. However some emulators still boot just fine like PlayStation ones, Femcu, SNES 9x. I have tried everything I can think of. Ran the cleaner that was posted in the forums. Cleaned start up processes. I even went as far as Windows reset (kept personal files). It's not the HDD as I have the issue even when launching on my primary SSD. I have tried to take screen shots of processes before and after launching and I can't find anything that could be causing it. Also after closing big box down once it will not close properly the next time. I have to launch task manager and kill it. Here comes the even stranger part. After a reboot everything works fine. Even not launch big box after, using other programs and software (primarly emulators) big box will do the not launch thing. With Shadowplay running it will almost never Launch Big Box it just freezes. Even on a clean boot. Totally at a loss, any ideas? I know it's not isolated to Big Box launching but I know that triggers whatever it is Everytime. It's only a handful of software that's effected. Everything else is super fast.

Also not sure if it matters but I have everything set up through Rocket Launcher. Also I run Plex on my PC.

My specs.

1080ti

32gb ram

Windows 10 Education (combo of Enterprise and Pro)

32 inch ultrawide (I kinda think it could be a resolution thing as ultrawide has caused issues in the past. Not sure)

If this helps the last time It hung up like this I did a ALT F4 to force close. I got the error found below. Even after closing it like that it booted up about 5 minutes later while doing something else.

The Application object is being shut down.

App:     
Version: 8.3
Type:    System.InvalidOperationException
Site:    System.IO.Packaging.Package GetResourcePackage(System.Uri)
Source:  PresentationFramework

at System.Windows.Application.GetResourcePackage(Uri packageUri)
   at System.Windows.Application.GetResourceOrContentPart(Uri uri)
   at System.Windows.Application.LoadComponent(Object component, Uri resourceLocator)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.App.InitializeComponent()
   at ()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.BigBoxProgram.Main()

Recent Log:

3:03:48 PM Exception

Hi @Bageena, I'm sorry to hear about the issues. I have heard about this happening once before to one other person, but I apologize that I can't remember the specifics of what solved it. You may be able to find the answer on the forums however, if you can search and manage to find it.

If I recall correctly though, I think it had to do with some sort of badly-written software that typically runs in the background that was causing it. It might have been video recording software for AMD or nVidia video cards, or keyboard software from Corsair, or something else that I can't recall.

So what I would do is literally get rid of all software running in the background, first by going through the system tray and closing everything, and then by killing anything remaining using Task Manager. If that doesn't work you can try disabling everything in the Task Manager Startup tab, and rebooting. Hopefully that will help you to narrow it down.

The only other thing that I can think of that it could be is bad drivers, so if it started happening recently, you could try downgrading or upgrading your drivers.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for getting back to me Jason. I had tried to uninstall everything eariler today and did some extensive searching on the forums nothing seemed to work. I ended doing a clean install of Windows and had the same issue before installing anything. As a last ditch effort I downgraded to Windows 10 home, everything works flawlessly. It must of been something in the Windows 10 Education Edition, I had some issues with FF15 a couple months ago too, took me a while to get it running. Thank you so much for all your hard work on Launch! I absolutely love it.

19 minutes ago, Bageena said:

Thank you for getting back to me Jason. I had tried to uninstall everything eariler today and did some extensive searching on the forums nothing seemed to work. I ended doing a clean install of Windows and had the same issue before installing anything. As a last ditch effort I downgraded to Windows 10 home, everything works flawlessly. It must of been something in the Windows 10 Education Edition, I had some issues with FF15 a couple months ago too, took me a while to get it running. Thank you so much for all your hard work on Launch! I absolutely love it.

Wow, that's crazy. I never would have expected an issue to be caused by the Education Edition, but good to know. Maybe there's a security policy or something that's changed, odd. Still, glad you're up and running. :)