LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch Mame

jamie1981uk

I updated Launcbox and imported my Mame games through the new Mame import section. I picked Retroarch but fell into a few issues. Setting up Retroarch for Mame is a nightmare compared to standalone Mame. First issue was the very low resolution even with the Mame Menu and it was in wide-screen (which I can only assume most people wouldn't want that?). I couldn't get my buttons to cfg on my arcade stick because one of my buttons did a skip and another brought up the Mame menu and I looked everywhere in the settings and couldn't find where those were. Seems like some kind of conflict is happening with Retroarch and the Mame it's using but, I could be wrong. 

2 minutes ago, jamie1981uk said:

I updated Launcbox and imported my Mame games through the new Mame import section. I picked Retroarch but fell into a few issues. Setting up Retroarch for Mame is a nightmare compared to standalone Mame. First issue was the very low resolution even with the Mame Menu and it was in wide-screen (which I can only assume most people wouldn't want that?). I couldn't get my buttons to cfg on my arcade stick because one of my buttons did a skip and another brought up the Mame menu and I looked everywhere in the settings and couldn't find where those were. Seems like some kind of conflict is happening with Retroarch and the Mame it's using but, I could be wrong. 

I personally dont use the MAME core in retroarch as i found it a bit fiddily also. As to the widescreen issue you need to set it to core provided in options/wideo, its probably currently set to 16:9 by the sounds of it. As forcontrols you set them the same way you do in standalone mame, use tab to bring up the MAME menu and set the controls there.

35 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

I personally dont use the MAME core in retroarch as i found it a bit fiddily also. As to the widescreen issue you need to set it to core provided in options/wideo, its probably currently set to 16:9 by the sounds of it. As forcontrols you set them the same way you do in standalone mame, use tab to bring up the MAME menu and set the controls there.

Thanks. I tried that but when I did the button cfg, one of the buttons would quit the menu instead of changing. I just wrote it off after that. 

41 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Yeah i personaly had control issues when i tried it also, thats why i dont and just stick to regular MAME.

Just out of curiosity. Do you have issues with certain games playing on one Mame and others playing on another? And which version do you use if you don't mind me asking? 

2 minutes ago, jamie1981uk said:

Just out of curiosity. Do you have issues with certain games playing on one Mame and others playing on another? And which version do you use if you don't mind me asking? 

No, my mame romset is 0.201 and my mame emulator is also 0.201 so all the games that are supposed to work do. Of course there are thousands that dont work in any version of the emulator, but as long as your romset version matches the mame emulator version then all the games that are supposed to work will.

38 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

No, my mame romset is 0.201 and my mame emulator is also 0.201 so all the games that are supposed to work do. Of course there are thousands that dont work in any version of the emulator, but as long as your romset version matches the mame emulator version then all the games that are supposed to work will.

Tbh it's been years since I've really messed with Mame and I have heard about matching the Mame and Roms. Maybe it's just pure fluke that I got majority working in the past. How do I know what version roms I have? I know you can load more than one Mame in the Emulator section so, could i get certain roms to load on a different Mame and how would I make it load that has default? Or would it be better to make separate imports if I knew the rom number and Mame required? It's sounds like I'm opening a can or worms. 

Just now, jamie1981uk said:

Tbh it's been years since I've really messed with Mame and I have heard about matching the Mame and Roms. Maybe it's just pure fluke that I got majority working in the past. How do I know what version roms I have? I know you can load more than one Mame in the Emulator section so, could i get certain roms to load on a different Mame and how would I make it load that has default? Or would it be better to make separate imports if I knew the rom number and Mame required? It's sounds like I'm opening a can or worms. 

Yeah there is no real way to know what your romset is. Your best bet would be to hunt down a romset that you know the version of, then grab the matching version of the emulator for it. The roms change over time so what used to work in a older MAME might not work in the current ones and vice versa.

• Like 1