LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox Next?

Iscariath

I love Launchbox and everything it let me do in terms of organizing my library, assigning cores and emulators, scraping and more, but Bigbox is a letdown for me. It's slow, clunky, not very elegant. I've been playing with Recalbox for a bit and I was just so impressed with the UI. First, I love the EmulationStation style, it's just so sleek, snappy, minimalist and lightweight from the font, the colors and the layout. Everything loads fast with no stutter. I can swap between platforms and game lists swiftly. I also really likes the way it handles favorites, where you can add games with one button. Small details, but I like how it shows favorite first on the game list, then list the entire library INCLUDING the favorites, so you still have a complete, alphabetically ordered list. It also create a favorite playlist that is listed among platforms. Finally, it add a controller icon next to the favorites, so you know at a glance what platforms it belongs to.

Honestly, if there would be a way to launch Recalbox from inside Windows without rebooting and launching from USB, I would consider using it instead. I also tried before to use EmulationStation for Windows before but it's not developed anymore and it's just a mess to setup. I mean, I have invested a lot of time in creating my library in Launchbox and it is simply the most powerful and flexible tool for doing so as far as I'm concerned. I love what you did to Launchbox Next, so maybe it's time for BigBox Next? That would definitely be a good argument to renew my license :)

Maybe there's settings I have overlooked that would solves my problems. Please let me know. I also know there's a theme based on EmulationStation, which is very well done, but it's powered by BigBox. I'm using default BigBox with minimalist settings, custom Background for platforms, no music, no videos, no coverflow. I'm running it on a I5 2500K, GTX570, 8GB RAM with Launchbox, emulators and metadata of the SSD with roms of a HDD.

Edited by Iscariath

1 hour ago, Iscariath said:

Small details, but I like how it shows favorite first on the game list, then list the entire library INCLUDING the favorites, so you still have a complete, alphabetically ordered list. It also create a favorite playlist that is listed among platforms.

This can all be done in Bigbox.

1 hour ago, Iscariath said:

I love what you did to Launchbox Next, so maybe it's time for BigBox Next?

Bigbox is already using the same framework as Launchbox Next, Launchbox Next was built to bring the Launchbox interface into line with Bigbox and to aid development in the future.

I know it's a minor thing, but to be clear, what I would like is to have a "Favorite" or "All Games" folder when you "View Platforms" in Bigbox. The "All Games" shows-up in Launchbox when you sort by platforms, but does not when you "View platforms" in Big Box. The other detail is that from a game list, I would like to have Favorite show up first (yes, we can already do that by sorting by favorite) but have all the favorites show up in the non-favorite list below. Example : Have Megaman 2 in the favorites, but also have it shows up (duplicate) alongside the other non-favorite Megaman title on the same list. So, I don't know that there's a way to do specifically that, so please let me know if there's a way!

1 minute ago, Iscariath said:

I know it's a minor thing, but to be clear, what I would like is to have a "Favorite" or "All Games" folder when you "View Platforms" in Bigbox. The "All Games" shows-up in Launchbox when you sort by platforms, but does not when you "View platforms" in Big Box.

You could do this with a playlist, just create a playlist with all games and add it as a root, it will show in the platform list. These features are currently available in the latest betas.

3 minutes ago, Iscariath said:

Example : Have Megaman 2 in the favorites, but also have it shows up (duplicate) alongside the other non-favorite Megaman title on the same list. So, I don't know that there's a way to do specifically that, so please let me know if there's a way!

Yeah that specifically i dont think is available, if its a favorite it shows at the top of the list, but isnt duplicated where it would normally be, its just moved to the top.