LaunchBox Community Forums

Image/Metadata not resolving

sparksterz

So, I've recently begun trying to setup an ambitious LaunchBox/BigBox setup and I'm finding myself tripping right out of the gate. I'm testing things out currently with Sega 32X first due to the size of the library being relatively small and easy for me to redo things if I screw up without taking a long time to re-import everything. I've got it setup so I import all of my roms, and LaunchBox correctly finds all of the games, but it won't retrieve any metadata or images. If I go to audit things, none of my imported games seem to resolve to id's in the LaunchBox database. The metadata imports don't tell me much other than everything was successful (I'm assuming because nothing happened due to lacking the ids), but...I'm not sure as my Logs folder doesn't seem to have anything that could give me a hint.

My ROM names themselves I would not think follow such an unusual format that they're unable to be resolved, but I'm not sure how I can fix this. For the 32X it's luckily trivial as it has about as many games for it as it does bits (Ha!) - but for some of the larger systems I am a bit worried about importing them if I'm going to run into this issue for each platform. Attached is an example of some of the filenames that were imported of which, none seem to have matched. The file names aren't of particular importance to me, so if I need to trim characters out or something I can probably make a small script to do that if needed, but I wanted to get thoughts here first

Thanks!

fileNameExample.JPG

• sparksterz changed the title to Image/Metadata not resolving
6 minutes ago, sparksterz said:

So, I've recently begun trying to setup an ambitious LaunchBox/BigBox setup and I'm finding myself tripping right out of the gate. I'm testing things out currently with Sega 32X first due to the size of the library being relatively small and easy for me to redo things if I screw up without taking a long time to re-import everything. I've got it setup so I import all of my roms, and LaunchBox correctly finds all of the games, but it won't retrieve any metadata or images. If I go to audit things, none of my imported games seem to resolve to id's in the LaunchBox database. The metadata imports don't tell me much other than everything was successful (I'm assuming because nothing happened due to lacking the ids), but...I'm not sure as my Logs folder doesn't seem to have anything that could give me a hint.

My ROM names themselves I would not think follow such an unusual format that they're unable to be resolved, but I'm not sure how I can fix this. For the 32X it's luckily trivial as it has about as many games for it as it does bits (Ha!) - but for some of the larger systems I am a bit worried about importing them if I'm going to run into this issue for each platform. Attached is an example of some of the filenames that were imported of which, none seem to have matched. The file names aren't of particular importance to me, so if I need to trim characters out or something I can probably make a small script to do that if needed, but I wanted to get thoughts here first

Thanks!

fileNameExample.JPG

I think the issue there is all your roms have 32X in the actual name. If it was (32X) it would be ignored by the scraper, but as they are in the actual game name that is what is being scraped. So it's looking for Afterburner 32X not just Afterburner.

1 minute ago, sparksterz said:

Thanks - it seems to be pulling down now. Are there any rules/guidelines to follow when it comes to compatible naming conventions?

There is some fuzzy matching going on, but not a huge amount so that games are not mis-matched. The no intro naming scheme is what the scraper is based on. So anything inside of brackets is ignored by the scraper, so most games should import just fine as long as things like region and version numbers are bracketed, (JAP) for example is ignored while scraping. It looks like you are using a "Goodset" or similar so they are not guaranteed to import correctly, but should be fine for the most part. As i said the issue you had here is technically the game names were incorrect, there is no such game as Afterburner 32X so it wasnt scraping correctly from our database.