LaunchBox Community Forums

Ryzen R5 2600X For emulation

CoOlokey

Hello everyone.

I would like an opinion about the Ryzen R5 2600x in the emulation senario, I need to change my I5 3450, even though it is a good processor is already far old, and some problems I'm having with the motherboard make me need to change my current setup.

Does anyone know how it goes in Cores like Higan and Citra? What about CEMU? Well I see many videos with good results in CEMU.

I say this and I believe that many have also been taught by the Web that when talking about emulation Intel is the only vaible option, but how is AMD when it comes to emulation?

If I opt for the setup with 2600x what problems should I expect in the emulation question?

It's complicated to talk about prices because I live in Brazil and we have a serious problem with the cost of PC parts around here, I would love to have a setup with I7 8700k but my budget does not allow it (actually if I want I can even buy it, however the benefit of having a 8700k would be just for emulation in my case, what I do not want) the maximum I can do is push a setup with I5 8600K and an budget Z370 or a I7 8700 Non K, worth the exchange?

I have a 2700X which speed wise is identical, the difference is in the number of cores and the 2700X handles HIgan, Citra, Cemu and the Mednafen (Beetle) Saturn cores perfectly fine. I can't quite do a full 60 fps all the time in Breath of the Wild (with graphics packs) but it is very close to it but 30 fps is rock solid.

The Ryzen CPUs are quite capable for emulation and is only slightly slower than the higher end Intel in single core performance but dramatically better in multi core performance. Ryzen is much better than the old Piledriver architecture of the FX series CPUs.

As for problems you really shouldn't run into any, I haven't run into any. You are more likely to run into issues with AMD graphics cards because their OpenGL drivers are not very good.

18 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

I have a 2700X which speed wise is identical, the difference is in the number of cores and the 2700X handles HIgan, Citra, Cemu and the Mednafen (Beetle) Saturn cores perfectly fine. I can't quite do a full 60 fps all the time in Breath of the Wild (with graphics packs) but it is very close to it but 30 fps is rock solid.

The Ryzen CPUs are quite capable for emulation and is only slightly slower than the higher end Intel in single core performance but dramatically better in multi core performance. Ryzen is much better than the old Piledriver architecture of the FX series CPUs.

As for problems you really shouldn't run into any, I haven't run into any. You are more likely to run into issues with AMD graphics cards because their OpenGL drivers are not very good.

Is good to hear that.

I think I will not regret anyway, at the moment I do not think an Intel for me is the best option.

Just out of curiosity what Mother Board you are using with your 2700X?

I wanted to buy an X370 or x470 but they are very scarce in the online stores of my country.

Edited by CoOlokey