LaunchBox Community Forums

starting game via MAME in NEO GEO AES MODE

Siggy12

Hello to everyone,

I'm a free user of launchbox so I don't have access to all feature of this front-end.

I'm struggling with a problem,

for example as we all know if you start the game in MAME via command line like this "mame64 aes samsho" it will run samurai showdown in AES mode (you need to have the aes.zip file of corse).

the problem is that it is impossible to force launchbox to understand the word "aes" in command line parameter, game unfortunately not start.

I have also forced on associated platform via the "aes -cart" option and it start the bios without launch the game.

is this a bug ? is it possible to solve this problem ?

Greetings.

P.S. Please note that I have not interest to launch game with UNIBIOS  as home console I already know how to do this and I don't like to use UNIBIOS also if is better.

Took me a few minutes to figure this one out but make a separate emulator entry in LB, call it whatever you want, I used NeoGeo AES, it can point to you normal install.

In the Edit Emulator screen for that emulator entry set your default command parameters to aes and turn on "Use File Name Only". Also don't forget  to add the platform name in the Associated Platforms tab.screenshot_19.thumb.jpg.f2a95883f22e193162baf48619a12fab.jpg

8 hours ago, Siggy12 said:

I have also forced on associated platform via the "aes -cart" option and it start the bios without launch the game.

This doesn't work because Mame expects a .bin file for it.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Took me a few minutes to figure this one out but make a separate emulator entry in LB, call it whatever you want, I used NeoGeo AES, it can point to you normal install.

In the Edit Emulator screen for that emulator entry set your default command parameters to aes and turn on "Use File Name Only". Also don't forget  to add the platform name in the Associated Platforms tab.screenshot_19.thumb.jpg.f2a95883f22e193162baf48619a12fab.jpg

This doesn't work because Mame expects a .bin file for it.

It Works...

You have exactly my same config, can't believe that I have to check that option that was under my eyes all this time just because says only "Sega Model 2 Emulator,etc.." .. my fault for not try it...

Thank You for solved my problem.

another question if you can help me but not related to launchbox.. Do you know if is possible to start with AES region to japan as default in mame ?

Try setting your command line to this and let me know if that works for you.

aes %romfile% -bios japan

In my quick test it seems to work properly.screenshot_20.thumb.jpg.e12b6c87e42f60d6cc11530228755ed0.jpgI found some bios information on this site and it's what pointed me in the right direction with some trial and error.

https://dammit.typepad.com/blog/2011/03/setting-the-neogeo-bios-in-mame.html

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Try setting your command line to this and let me know if that works for you.

aes %romfile% -bios japan

In my quick test it seems to work properly.screenshot_20.thumb.jpg.e12b6c87e42f60d6cc11530228755ed0.jpgI found some bios information on this site and it's what pointed me in the right direction with some trial and error.

https://dammit.typepad.com/blog/2011/03/setting-the-neogeo-bios-in-mame.html

yes it work like a sharm thank You... finally I can enjoy NEO GEO AES library without any hassles.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Fair enough, I was just curious because it seems even people into the real NeoGeo hardware seem to like and prefer the Unibios because it gives you the option to pick AES or MVS and region easily. I wouldn't think to really call it a mod or a hack unless you are using the cheats.

I own real AES and also REAL MVS.

agree !! What you say is right but at the end it is a hack also if under the eyes seems to be perfectly standard,

for example it bypass some protection criteria that allow You to play game as AES mode that never existed in AES.

try to play  Zupapa with original AES bios.....

3 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Fair enough and I do have to admit after getting this working it is kinda nice having that nice NeoGeo bootup screen instead of the green glitchy looking screen of the arcade or the UniBios screen.

this is for me too another reason to use the standard bios.

• 2 years later...

I get intro warning: "One or more roms/CHDs from this machine are incorrect..." sound cracking sound in all AES games. Running the latest Mame 0.234 with the latest Mame 0.234 SL AES with LB mame command -keyboardprovider dinput aes %romfile% -bios Euro. I updated my audio interface, redownloaded SL AES romset. The issue remain. The MVS roms run without cracking sound. Anyone got solution?

Edited by vgbox

It could be a problem with your actual NeoGeo bios. Do you get the warning with every game?

Try the NeoGeo.zip you're using for AES in standalone MAME. Do an audit and see what files are missing or corrupt. You should be able to work out from there if that's the problem. If so you need to get the updated zip.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Gosunkugi said:

It could be a problem with your actual NeoGeo bios. Do you get the warning with every game?

Try the NeoGeo.zip you're using for AES in standalone MAME. Do an audit and see what files are missing or corrupt. You should be able to work out from there if that's the problem. If so you need to get the updated zip.

I use the latest merged set so i don't need to neogeo.zip. Yes, i get the warning with every game even though i redownloaded the merged romset. Also, i downloaded the latest split romset and the same issue remain. What do you mean by audit?

Edited by vgbox

36 minutes ago, vgbox said:

What do you mean by audit?

In standalone MAME you can right click any game and select 'audit'. This lets you take a look if any of the files pass a check. If you do that with a handful of your crackly Neo Geo titles, and it's the same file missing or corrupt with every game... well, it could be the merged bios inside your games, one of the .rom files is an older version.

If they pass the audit with no checksum errors or missing files obviously the problem lays elsewhere.

59 minutes ago, vgbox said:

I use the latest merged set so i don't need to neogeo.zip.

Merged sets do not have the bios included in the actual rom files. If you have a complete rom set then you do have a neogeo.zip file and if you don't have one you will need to find one because it is required for Split and Merged sets. It is the Non-Merged set that has the bios included in the actual game rom zip file.

On 8/13/2021 at 8:08 PM, Gosunkugi said:

In standalone MAME you can right click any game and select 'audit'. This lets you take a look if any of the files pass a check. If you do that with a handful of your crackly Neo Geo titles, and it's the same file missing or corrupt with every game... well, it could be the merged bios inside your games, one of the .rom files is an older version.

If they pass the audit with no checksum errors or missing files obviously the problem lays elsewhere.

When i run mame.exe directly it only shows arcade games. How to run AES games directly through mame.exe?

On 8/13/2021 at 8:18 PM, Lordmonkus said:

Merged sets do not have the bios included in the actual rom files. If you have a complete rom set then you do have a neogeo.zip file and if you don't have one you will need to find one because it is required for Split and Merged sets. It is the Non-Merged set that has the bios included in the actual game rom zip file.

If neogeo.zip is required for my merged set then how come the AES games run in the first place? The SL Merged AES full romset is from pleasuresdome. Anyway, i put the latest neogeo.zip (bios) from "MAME 0.234 ROMs (bios-devices)" inside the neogeo AES roms folder, run games but the sound issue remain. This is how my rompath looks like in mame.ini: rompath                   "roms;X:\Roms\MAME 0.234 ROMs (merged);X:\Roms\MAME 0.232 CHDs (merged);X:\Roms\MAME 0.234 Software List ROMs (merged)",

Btw, my default command line parameters for mame in LB edit emulator is "-keyboardprovider dinput aes %romfile% -bios japan", how to make mame favor usa/world region? usa/europe instead of japan cause warning message when launching a game "One or more roms/CHDs from this machine are incorrect...".

Opened a proper thread in features:

Edited by vgbox

• 2 years later...
On 11/29/2018 at 9:12 AM, Lordmonkus said:

Fair enough, I was just curious because it seems even people into the real NeoGeo hardware seem to like and prefer the Unibios because it gives you the option to pick AES or MVS and region easily. I wouldn't think to really call it a mod or a hack unless you are using the cheats.

Sorry for resurrecting an ancient thread but I'm struggling with this now.

If you tell MAME to open a rom and use unibios, how do you tell unibios you want AES mode?

Say I launch Metal Slug using "mame.exe -bios unibios40 mslug" the bios is set to MVS by default and I can't see how to change it to AES

Edited by ichimitch
typo