LaunchBox Community Forums

retroarch won't play psx chd games

Digital_Medz

I can't get retroarch to play psx games that are .chd format. Initially it told me that I'm missing the bios. I put the bios files in the retroarch system folder, and now it loads to a blank screen.  I tried updating the core (beetle psx hw) and the core info files, still no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Retroarch 1.7.3

Beetle psx hw 0.9.444.1 74bd755

Just now, Digital_Medz said:

I can't get retroarch to play psx games that are .chd format. Initially it told me that I'm missing the bios. I put the bios files in the retroarch system folder, and now it loads to a blank screen.  I tried updating the core (beetle psx hw) and the core info files, still no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Retroarch 1.7.3

Beetle psx hw 0.9.444.1 74bd755

Either your bios or you chd's are bad is my guess. I use chd's myself in retroarch for psx and they work fine. load the core and go to info in the main Retroarch menu and check it likes your bios files,it will have a checksum to match against your bios.

Progress! Thanks so much for your help!

I did what you said and sure enough, it said one of the bios files was missing. I downloaded a fresh copy of scph5501.bin and overwrote the previous one. Retroarch now sees that file as present, and games now load but without video. I hear sound and it responds to controller input but that's it. Any ideas?

1 minute ago, Digital_Medz said:

Progress! Thanks so much for your help!

I did what you said and sure enough, it said one of the bios files was missing. I downloaded a fresh copy of scph5501.bin and overwrote the previous one. Retroarch now sees that file as present, and games now load but without video. I hear sound and it responds to controller input but that's it. Any ideas?

Could be a video driver incompatibility in Retroarch, what are your system specs and what is the graphics driver set to in Retroarch? It could also be a shader incompatibility if you have turned any on. 

system spces: iMac 2017 running Windows 10 on a bootcamp partition, i7-7700 4.2ghz, AMD Radeon 580, 32 gb ram.

Video driver in retroarch is set to gl.

I believe I have a shader turned on but I always used the in game menu to access that, and now I can't see that menu when using the psx core. 

Thanks again for your help.