LaunchBox Community Forums

I can get Neo Geo games to work in NeoRage, but not RetroArch. I have the bios that works in NeoRage, so I'm a bit confused.

PurpleTentacle

So at this point, I'm not even trying to get this to work from within LaunchBox, I've just been trying to get it to work in RetroArch first. I followed the various tutorials, making sure to download the fbalpha_libretro, as well some of the other arcade related libretros. I also placed the bios files that worked in NeoRage into the Neo Geo rom folder (neogeo.zip, I also had a uni-bios 1.3.zip file from NeoRage). When that didn't work, I tried moving it into the system folder in RetroArch. I even tried placing the bios in a bios folder (someone on one of the YouTube videos claimed this worked, but it didn't for me). 

When all of that didn't work, I tried downloading other neogeo.zip bios (different file sizes, so I know they're different). Now, I should also point out that I can open the very same files in NeoRage, so I know the problem isn't the rom files (unless there's something about it that I don't know). I can also open all sorts of other files in RetroArch, including arcade games (struggled with a few, but obviously that can be very specific to the rom/bios). So I know RetroArch works...

I make sure to load the core before loading the zip file in RetroArch. The error message I get for every Neo Geo zip file is "Failed to load content". I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong, especially when there are a number of variables at play (just to cover the bases, yes, I leave the zip files intact).

That was the kind of thing I was leaning towards, since everything else was ruled out... but I wasn't sure if it worked that way for Neo Geo roms. I know they're kind of funky.

I got my Amiga & TI 99 4/a games running, so I must be doing something right, at least...

Edited by PurpleTentacle