LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame - Monitor Question

Hank7_98

I have a dedicated 1060 Nividia card running to a LCD monitor via HDMI. 

My marquee monitor due to issues I was having with the NIvidia software not recognizing the TV kept wanting to make the marquee monitor - monitor 1. So I pulled it and activated the gpu output and plugged this into the original computer port. 

Now when I launch a game in LB from Mame it throws the gameplay up on my marquee and I can’t for the life of me figure out how to change this or force output through the 1060 card onto my primary screen. 

With most emulators I can select a graphics card etc so it isn’t a problem with Mame I can not  

Any ideas?

Edited by Hank7_98

I was toying with this just the other week.  If everything other than Mame works on the monitors they way you want, be it Monitor "1" or "2", "Primary" or otherwise, leave it be.  To fix Mame, edit the mame.ini file.

The following is paraphrased from https://www.reddit.com/r/MAME/comments/66abdw/mame64_automatically_keeps_outputting_to_second/:

Start with the opening the command prompt (or PowerShell) in your Mame directory.  In Windows explorer, navigate to you Mame directory. Press Shift+right-mouse-click, select "Open PowerShell window here".  Type "mame64.exe -v".  (You may need to add ".\" in front of it.  ".\mame64.exe -v".  [it's a PowerShell thing])

At the top of the output, you should see something like:

Video: Monitor 262893 = "\\.\DISPLAY1" (primary)
Video: Monitor 131073 = "\\.\DISPLAY2"

Make note of what Mame is calling your monitors.  Now edit your mame.ini file.  Near the bottom is a heading "OSD PER-WINDOW VIDEO OPTIONS":

#
# OSD PER-WINDOW VIDEO OPTIONS
#
screen                     \\.\DISPLAY2
aspect                    auto
resolution                auto
view                      auto
screen0                    \\.\DISPLAY2
aspect0                   auto
resolution0               auto
view0                     auto
screen1                    \\.\DISPLAY2
aspect1                   auto
resolution1               auto
view1                     auto
screen2                    \\.\DISPLAY2
aspect2                   auto
resolution2               auto
view2                     auto
screen3                    \\.\DISPLAY2
aspect3                   auto
resolution3               auto
view3                     auto 

Swap DISPLAY2 for DISPLAY1 and DISPLAY3 if the screen's misplaced. Putting DISPLAY2 for every screen is a tad overkill but it makes troubleshooting a bit quicker...

• 4 years later...

I'm having a similar issue to this. Everything else works well except for MAME. My configuration is a projector screen on the bottom (primary display) and a marquee above the projector (secondary display). The same thing happens to me where MAME will launch on the marquee. Changing the settings as indicated above does work temporarily. The problem is that Windows seems to redefine which display is \\.\DISPLAY1 and which is \\.\DISPLAY2. Sometimes it will even go higher and assign these monitors \\.\DISPLAY4 or \\.\DISPLAY5. This results in MAME becoming confused again and outputting to the marquee. Is there any way to force Windows to define a monitor as \\.\DISPLAY1? Alternatively, is there any other way to automate shifting MAME to the correct display which does not involve these labels? I have found that regardless of how these labels change, Windows is consistently defining my projector screen as Primary in the display settings. It's just MAME that seems to be getting confused by the changing naming convention.