LaunchBox Community Forums

Platform and Platform Category question

GimmeClassics

Hello everybody!

I've a question about Platform and Platform Category when showing my MAME games.

My MAME games are part of the Platform: Arcade. Just as I want to.
However, when I choose Platform Category Launchbox shows Arcade (Platform category) and a nested menu option Arcade (Platform).
Is it possible to have only one Menu option Arcade when choosing Platform Category  or does Lauchbox Always have to show Platform Category and a nested menu option Platform ?

Why do I ask this ? Arcade games are Mame games only (in my setup) so I'd rather like to see one menu option Arcade and not another nested Arcade menu option. It looks a bit strange.

Hope to hear from you guys ?

~ GC

arcade platform.png

arcade category.png

This is the Games Database subforum so not many cruise through this neck of the woods. 

Anyway, to your question. I had similar observation with "Arcade/Arcade" once the playlists were in use.  At moment, there isn't a way to hide a platform/playlist (I hope it gets added for various reasons).  So there is only various work-a rounds and depends on your preference. In my case I had Daphne as well in the Arcade platform so I broke down and renamed the emulator "Arcade" to "Mame" so those two systems sit under Arcade Category.  I then moved the main playlists that I frequent into the root of the Arcade Category rather than under the MAME Platform such as Favorites. I left some of the less used playlists under MAME platform category since most of time (at least in Bigbox) users will stay within the first level Arcade Platform and not dive into the MAME listing. Plus they don't care about "CPS I, III, etc) so made a bit more sense that way.  The nice thing with the playlists is you can move them around to decide which directory structure makes sense for your use.

One other work around, is to rename the emulator Platform (Mame) to "Arcade All Games" (or whatever name prefer) and that fulfills the role of your "All Games" playlist via the platform or can cheat and leave name and just change logo so user thinks it is the All Games listing.  Then just put all other playlists under the root of the Arcade Category. 

It is pain to rename the "Arcade" Platform and I found it is best after renaming to wait a bit (no actions in Arcade section) and then close LB. Reopen and the directories should be renamed (but verify).  I found in some cases it didn't always move directories (likely a file was locked when it was moving files).  Plus, you have to rename your logos/videos for that platform to match whatever it gets changed to. 

The last one is to just ignore it and you have two "Arcades" in the the listings which has advantage of not having to mess with media. 

I am sure there are other examples but those were ones I tried until there is way to hide things. 

image.png.ea302a731cd086bea67952ebe849f8ed.png

• Like 1