LaunchBox Community Forums

NES CHR extension not working but NES extension does

DannyShane

Just curious. I have a full set of NES roms from mame complete set 0.204 (SL) but the zips contain CHR and PRG extension files. I cannot get them to run in retroarch or mesen. 

However I have a few NES roms from years ago where the zips contain files with NES extension.  and those all work great. 

I could just use those old roms but i only have a few dozen of them where as the rom set 0.204 SL came with a few thousand (i think it was).

i searched retroarch forum and dont see anything about that and i couldnt even figure out how to post a question there.  maybe because i just joined. not sure. 

anyone know anything about this

5 minutes ago, dannyshane said:

Just curious. I have a full set of NES roms from mame complete set 0.204 (SL) but the zips contain CHR and PRG extension files. I cannot get them to run in retroarch or mesen. 

However I have a few NES roms from years ago where the zips contain files with NES extension.  and those all work great. 

I could just use those old roms but i only have a few dozen of them where as the rom set 0.204 SL came with a few thousand (i think it was).

i searched retroarch forum and dont see anything about that and i couldnt even figure out how to post a question there.  maybe because i just joined. not sure. 

anyone know anything about this

SL or Software List roms are to be used with MAME, they likely are not compatible with any other emulators.

• Thanks 1

oh damn.  well that explains that. lol.  

Well if anyone is interested, I had set up atari 2600, 7800, jaguar, snes and sega genesis (from mame set SL) with retroarch and they worked. but yes a bunch of others did not work. 

Well one more question. its not as simple as setting mames default platform to nintendo entertainment system, is it?   I did that and a bunch of titles didnt work. 

I also added the SL roms path to rompath in mame.ini and launched mame standalone and i dont even see the new games.  is it because to use NES or other SL games in mame there are more steps to take than just adding the roms? 

thanks man.  that makes sense.

Heres something odd. not sure if i should create a new thread. its kind of related. because its in teh same progress as me trying to figure this out. 

I have a nintendo rom game listed in LB. '1942'.  I have it set to launch with mame. when i launch it, it looks exactly like the arcade mame verison of the same game '1942'.  I mean it asks for quarters and everything.   is LB set to skip a nintendo rom if mame already has it for arcade?

31 minutes ago, dannyshane said:

thanks man.  that makes sense.

Heres something odd. not sure if i should create a new thread. its kind of related. because its in teh same progress as me trying to figure this out. 

I have a nintendo rom game listed in LB. '1942'.  I have it set to launch with mame. when i launch it, it looks exactly like the arcade mame verison of the same game '1942'.  I mean it asks for quarters and everything.   is LB set to skip a nintendo rom if mame already has it for arcade?

That just sounds like you imported a Arcade game under Nintendo Entertainment System by mistake. Launchbox doesnt prioritise things in that way, it imports the games you specify to the platform you specify and using the emulator you specify. 

• Thanks 1

i clicked edit inside LB to see what file it was pointing to and it was pointing to the SL NES folder. i had gotten it from 0.204 complete set.   Maybe the place i downloaded it from had it in their SL set.  

any chance you guys have a tutorial on here on how to get mame to play SL games?  ive searched alot on the internet and never found anything that made me understand yet. I'll mess with it again tonight and try and figure it out.  im actually building my first cabinet - pretty excited. im obsessed. lol. 

35 minutes ago, dannyshane said:

i clicked edit inside LB to see what file it was pointing to and it was pointing to the SL NES folder. i had gotten it from 0.204 complete set.   Maybe the place i downloaded it from had it in their SL set.  

any chance you guys have a tutorial on here on how to get mame to play SL games?  ive searched alot on the internet and never found anything that made me understand yet. I'll mess with it again tonight and try and figure it out.  im actually building my first cabinet - pretty excited. im obsessed. lol. 

There probably is a command for it, ill tag @DOS76 here as i know he messes with software list stuff sometimes. However i would advise you get a normal nes set preferably from no-intro. MAME is a Arcade emu,with some old computer systems thrown in from there integration with mess, but i would never recommend playing nes games in MAME. 

• Thanks 1

Happy new Year you guys!  :)

I set up the command lines but i couldn't get it to work. My screen went black like it was loading but then just returned to LB. 

I'm looking for sets not related to mame but still curious how people get the mame SL console roms to play on mame.