LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch not launching for NeoGeo

bugula

So I've done everything I can to try and self-diagnose this before asking for help...I have a feeling I'm missing something very simple.

I've got standalone emulators running fine through Launchbox but tried to hook into a new Retroarch downloaded install yesterday and NeoGeo doesn't initiate. I can run NeoGeo through the cores perfectly fine directly from Retroarch.

I manually copied my files over to their destination to ensure the bios would be included. I've installed Retroarch to the Emulators directory within Launchbox as well, following the YouTube tutorial. It sounds like the command line statements are no longer needed and I've tried both with and without to the same effect. When I double click a title, I get the spinner for a short period and then nothing.

I've attached a bunch of screens that show the set up - any help is much appreciated!

(I fixed the platform naming discrepancy in the screens below for NGPC and Retroarch launches perfectly)

platform.PNG

emu.PNG

apps.PNG

file1.PNG

file2.PNG

Edited by bugula

9 minutes ago, bugula said:

So I've done everything I can to try and self-diagnose this before asking for help...I have a feeling I'm missing something very simple.

I've got standalone emulators running fine through Launchbox but tried to hook into a new Retroarch downloaded install yesterday and NeoGeo doesn't initiate (I fixed the platform naming discrepancy in the screens below for NGPC and it works fine). I can run NeoGeo through the cores perfectly fine directly from Retroarch.

I manually copied my files over to their destination to ensure the bios would be included. I've installed Retroarch to the Emulators directory within Launchbox as well, following the YouTube tutorial. It sounds like the command line statements are no longer needed and I've tried both with and without to the same effect. When I double click a title, I get the spinner for a short period and then nothing.

I've attached a bunch of screens that show the set up - any help is much appreciated!

platform.PNG

emu.PNG

apps.PNG

file1.PNG

file2.PNG

Make sure that the platform name in the retroarch associated platform screen you posted EXACTLY matches how the platform is named in the left sidebar in Launchbox. For example in your image its called "SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color" so that must match the platform name in launchbox, it could for example just be called "Neo Geo Pocket Color" there so Launchbox will think they are different systems. Also were you originally launching these syatems with different emulators in Launchbox?

Thanks, @neil9000! i caught the NGP issue when taking screenshots and it works well now. Am I missing something on the NeoGeo one though? The platform is "NeoGeo" and the associated platform is the same as well.

Thanks again!

Edited by bugula

2 minutes ago, bugula said:

Thanks, @neil9000! i caught the NGP issue when taking screenshots and it works well now. Am I missing something on the NeoGeo one though? The platform is "NeoGeo" and the associated platform is the same as well.

Thanks again!

Nothing i can see off the top of my head in all honesty, do the neogeo games load in retroarch by itself? I havent used fba before so dont know if it needs to know your rom path like MAME does, or that the neogeo.zip needs to be in the retroarch/system folder like other bios files. Also like i asked previously are these new imports or were you originally using a different emu for them?

this is a fresh install on everything - retroarch loads the NeoGeo titles perfectly from the Launchbox Games directory.

Are you sure you are using the correct fba core in the associated platform dropdown, there is more than one in retroarch if i recall.

Just now, neil9000 said:

Spotted it!!! you have Retroarch set to unzip your games, arcade roms should never be unzipped, you just load the zip directly.

Hahahahaha!!! It was something simple! I kept completely glossing over that. :D

Thanks a ton!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

This is why we always ask for pictures when people have issues, it helps us out a great deal, so thanks for that. :) 

There are so many moving pieces it's impossible to describe everything without them. Excited to get some arcade gaming in today with your help!

There are so many moving pieces it's impossible to describe everything without them. Excited to get some arcade gaming in today with your help!

lol, well you would be surprised with how many posts we get that just say "retroarch works but not through launchbox, help". :)