LaunchBox Community Forums

Higan: how to run games with special chips

legolas119

Hi

i have configured Higan emualtor in order to run snes games.  But, as i read here https://higan.readthedocs.io/en/latest/guides/import/  it is necessary to load the gmaes with specail chips in a special way.

Well, i put a Firmware folder (with 2 or 3 firmware inside) both in this folder C:\Users\Giovanni\AppData\Local\icarus and inside the emulator folder, beside icarus.exe, as suggested.  I'm trying to use Megaman X2 and X3: both games require cx4.data.rom firmware and it was included in the Higan pack.

But i haven't understood how i can load the games with the special chip...If i try to import the game (in zip format or in .sfc), the error appears: "[Mega Man X2 (USA).zip] ROM image is missing data: cx4.data.rom"

For sure I have't understood how to correctly import the game and the special firmware...

Can you help me please?

thank you!

I'd like to suggest using the official BSNES emulator from Byuu which is just the SNES component of Higan broken out into its own thing, it's just as accurate as Higan but simplified in its use: https://byuu.org/emulation/bsnes/

Just dump all the special chips in the firmware folder of the BSNES install folder, it loads games straight up instead of doing the whole icarus stuff.

screenshot_34.thumb.jpg.016d819fd4d840e2d762d9e2976b0c00.jpgOr you can use the Higan core in Retroarch if you like.

Thnaks

1) I put both cx4.rom and cx4.data.rom in C:\Users\Giovanni\AppData\Local\icarus\Firmare and here Emulator\Higan\Firmware and also in the rom folder. But it doesn't work...I don't understood the guide i linked above :(

2) Yes I know bsnes, but unfortunately it is not possible to load shaders like in HIgan :(   so i don't use it...   I tried megaman X3 and it works, the cx4.data.rom it is good :)   Where I can find the complete file list as you?  Can you suggest me a website via PM where i can donwload the comple list?

For sure it is possible to play these games with higan too

I only have: cx4.rom and cx4.data.rom and sgb1.boot.rom and sgb2.boot.rom: I tried Streeth fighter alpha 2 and Yooshi's Island and they work perfectly efven if i don't hae their specific firmware...

I don't like Retroarch, it is too difficult to set up it. I tried a lot but i don't like it, i prefer to confi every emulator as a stand alone

thank you!

Edited by legolas119

I really dislike Higans way of "cataloging" all the roms into individual "folders" for its own use. It makes it very unwieldy for use in front ends. You could try importing the Higan "rom" folder as a rom file though and see if that works. I don't know if it would or won't though since I have never tried it.

Personally I would use the Higan core in RA because I love RA and think the little bit of extra effort in setting it all up is well worth it. I get a nice consistent look and feel across all the systems with lower input and audio latency than most stand alones.

I can't tell you where I got my set of SNES special chips from because I don't remember, I do remember searching for "SNES special chip dumps". If you have an older No Intro set before the Nintendo wipe the SNES set has them in it.

yeah i solved the issue!   Here the explanation, i hope that it cab be useful for other guys :)

Well, I imported the Super Nintendo rom with icarus (the higan plug in used to import the romset):  Higan created a folder for every game. Then i put the 2 files cx4.rom and cx4.data.rom in the same folder of MegamanX2 and MegamanX3.

Now if i run them from Library --> Nintendo --> Superfamicom --> I select the megamanX2 (or megamanX3) folder and the game works!

So, in order to play games with Higan it is necessary:

1) import the complete romset in a specified path: i choose a path in the same folder where i keep my supernintendo romset (D:\EMULATORI\ROM\Super Nintendo Entertainment System\Super Famicom\Super Famicom)

2) then, i can run games in 2 ways:

2a) Library --> Load ROM files: in this way Higan directly play roms in my rom folder (D:\EMULATORI\ROM\Super Nintendo Entertainment System). But in this way the games with special chips don't work

2b) Library -->Nintendo--> Superfamicom-->I choose the game folder from the path where i imported the games (see bullet 1): in this way EVERY game works correctly.

Well i don't know if i can configure launchbox in order to play Higan without this issue...it should be possible to configure Launchbox so that the emulator directly load the game folder imported in the specified path...is it possble in your opinion?

• Like 1