LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch has gone insane on my setup

flatuswalrus

So, I have been playing games on my setup and everything has been working perfectly. I have done or changed absolutely nothing on my PC, my controller has not been plugged out etc. I go to play some games today and Retroarch does not recognise my Hori FC, it shows it in the input menu but does not respond to it. Also, I cannot navigate through any of Retroarch's except with the mouse, which is painful. Nothing I do seems to change anything. I have not had it play up like this at all before. I have been trying all day to fix it and I am at a complete loss. I would just wipe it all and reinstall Retroarch but I have so many damn setting which would be excruciating to reset like all my shaders and handheld borders. When I first started using LaunchBox and Retroarch I would always ask questions because it was daunting and confusing. I am at a point now where I have had everything long enough that I can figure most things out but this one has me beat. Would anyone be kind enough to spitball some ideas?

11 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Sorry to hear bro, have you looked into dinput or xinput changes, either in switches or software settings? Does it work like it would before in Mame or another emulator?

Hiya, yes I’ve tried dinput and xinput changes as well as many others. The controller still works on MAME. Mednafen coincidentally won’t remember controls either but that’s probably something else.

14 minutes ago, Dane said:

Hiya, yes I’ve tried dinput and xinput changes as well as many others. The controller still works on MAME. Mednafen coincidentally won’t remember controls either but that’s probably something else.

Are you sure you haven't updated Retroarch or anything else within it? If not maybe renamed or relocated folders that impact retroarch? If not, have you tried swapping controllers and usb ports to see if it changes anything? Could be that windows (update) thing i've encountered before where controllers get shuffled, maybe retroarch sees hfc as user 2 now while you've mapped everything to user 1. If this is the case do turn off usb energy saving, it seems to work for me. I guess you did try a windows reboot as well? of course you did, consider it unasked.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the suggestions. I did update RA but that was after the problem. I have rebooted but it also did not help. I have not however swapped USB ports but will do so tonight as I’m about to have breakfast then do some renovations around the house. Afterwards, I will also do that USB energy saver option, thank you.

• Game On 1

47 minutes ago, Dane said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I did update RA but that was after the problem. I have rebooted but it also did not help. I have not however swapped USB ports but will do so tonight as I’m about to have breakfast then do some renovations around the house. Afterwards, I will also do that USB energy saver option, thank you.

Least I can do to try and help you bro after all the tips and help I got from you :) Please do try to connect/shuffle multiple controllers so you can test if any of them work, if it works I think its due to a windows update as it seems to reset some things afterwards, like gpu color settings changing from full range rgb to limited, very annoying!

I did do the USB power saver thingy so hopefully, that will contribute to lessening future mishaps. My Hori works again with Retroarch after changing USB ports and restarting the computer, again!

For some reason, my Game Boy Color games do not work on Retroarch with the Hori and the keyboard does not respond at all making it so I had to turn off my computer and turn it back on again to get out of it even though it says F1 is mapped to menu toggle. Strange things are afoot at the Circle K. Thanks for your suggestions, it is nearly back to normal.

• Like 1

Could it be you've once mapped the gamepad and keyboard manually for gameboy color? Could be its looking for a keyboard/gamepad bound to a usb port somewhere in the core thats being used where you might need to map it again. All this makes me think of a permanent solution in the future; dedicated game pc with no internet, not something I would want but if windows/update is messing things up it might be the only way to keep it stable.

11 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Could it be you've once mapped the gamepad and keyboard manually for gameboy color? Could be its looking for a keyboard/gamepad bound to a usb port somewhere in the core thats being used where you might need to map it again. All this makes me think of a permanent solution in the future; dedicated game pc with no internet, not something I would want but if windows/update is messing things up it might be the only way to keep it stable.

I have thought of that also, a dedicated gaming PC/setup not connected to the internet. The only reason I have not and probably will not do that is I cannot afford it. Although I am sure there would be the odd occasion where I would want to connect the non-internet PC to the internet as it would be a pain after a while transferring stuff from the connected PC. ANyways, later today I am going to possibly wipe my NGBC config file and start again with it. It is quite a slow process setting up the handheld systems on RA with the overlay and custom screen size but if it gets it working again then it is worth it. This is what I talk about on other posts when I mention gremlins getting into one's system. I know there is always a reason for everything happening regardless if we know what it is. Though when I do not know what it is I blame it on the damn gremlins messing about.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Retroarch has decided to be a dick all of a sudden again. I have not unplugged my controller or made ANY changes to my setup, at all. Then Retroarch just decided it did not want to recognise controls on some systems. I deleted my retroarch.cfg file and that allowed me to navigate the menu and start from scratch though the problem is when I  press a button on my controller then the Retroarch menu will not react to anything, not even my keyboard. At first, I thought it was my controller having the turbo on (I have a Hori FC) but it is not on. My controller works perfectly on MAME as nothing has changed there. It is just Retroarch. So, this is similar to my first post. This time I actually am considering deleting Retroarch completely and starting from scratch with it just in case it is some obscure little anomaly that I am missing.

Edited by Dane

Okay, so, since MAME and Mednafen have nothing wrong with them it is obviously Retroarch that has an issue, not my controller. As a result, I just deleted Retroarch except for my cores and system folders because what I have in there should not alter anything and they are the largest folders.

After a fresh start, it all works okay. I have set up everything for my platforms that just run off of retroarch.cfg but for platforms like the handhelds where I have borders around them of their given console I am now going through and doing all of them again. I started doing the Game Boy and ran into a problem that never happened before. I placed the border on screen in the overlay settings which worked. Though then I went to position and change the size of the game screen to fit inside the border and it is doing something that I never encountered before. In the video setting when I am changing the Custom Aspect Ratio Height when it gets to 432 it automatically gets a lot bigger as it has (3x) written next to the number 432. Is there any way to stop this stupid big jump in size? Because it is making it so I simply cannot fit the game screen area inside the border/overlay correctly. Arg! Retroarch was the biggest pain to learn, then I had everything perfect and now it is being a total jerk.

11 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Damn bro, thats a pain :( Maybe a good idea to backup your config files once you got it running like you want again, and maybe set it to readonly so it wont change.

Yes I’ll definitely do that, thank you.

I just took a photo of my screen. See how the actual game area has a yellow border around the game making it so it doesn’t properly fill the Game Boy screen. 

CC8546AB-3160-4E73-83F8-219F5A1CC316.thumb.jpeg.60d97b02b14ebfdbabf9f6119881426a.jpegDoes anyone know a remedy for this?

I’ve just done the Game Boy Colour and it fit perfectly first go.

I just spent about an hour and a half creating a custom config for every platform:

image.thumb.png.103e1df9ff809055c2be7f73407cbf25.pngIt took so long because I had to set the shader, overlay and controls for every single one. I am hoping this will eliminate or at least greatly reduce potential issues in the future, particularly pertaining to controls. I did have custom configs for my handhelds prior but that was only because I use overlay/borders for each of those but now if one platform plays up for any reason it will not spread to everything else or just plain clash with anything else.

My Game Boy border problem is still happening so, for now, that is the only one single problem I have with my entire setup. Well, that and the first five Touhou games not running smoothly but that is an age-old problem.