LaunchBox Community Forums

Has anyone tried the 8Bitdo M30 Sega Genesis controller? If so, how is it?

PurpleTentacle

I have a 8bitdo SN30 Pro & SF30 Pro, really love them, with a few minor criticisms (mostly that the D-pad, while good, is too mushy, the buttons feel a tad cheap when pushed in, but oddly still feel good, and the trigger buttons aren't analogue, so for more modern games, you lose the ability to have incremental values I.E. it's either on or off). Despite those seemingly like major complaints, I'm VERY picky about controllers, so this is me applying very high standards, so I otherwise love the 8bito SN/SF 30 Pro controllers.

So after seeing the 8Bitdo M30 Sega Genesis/Mega Drive controllers, I'm rather curious  as to how they stand up. Not sure I have a need for one, seeing as I have enough controller, but I loved the Genesis/Mega Drive d-pad, so I'm kind of hoping it lives up to that.

Also worth mentioning that Retro-Bit is coming out with licensed 8 button Sega Genesis/Mega Drive controllers that are supposed to be really close to the originals. They're not out yet, so I'm not sure if anyone here has gotten the chance to try them (I'm also curious if the mode button on the controller can be used in Retroarch as an "activate hotkey" button, cause if not, it might be kind of rough to use in Big Box. They're also not wireless, which I can live with, especially since they're $10 cheaper than the 8Bitdo M30. 

As much as I don't need another controller, part of me would love to get a more authentic feeling when playing Sega games.

• 1 month later...

Yup, I ended up ordering the M30 & loved it. It was exactly what I was looking for, since I wanted something that made me feel like I was actually playing on a Sega Genesis, instead of using what's essentially a SNES controller to play a Genesis game (makes it easier to figure out what buttons do when you read a manual). It just feels right, too. Really enjoy it for Shmups, too. 

I originally bought a N30 Pro, which I loved at first, but the built quality wasn't the best, and the D-pad & analogue stick kind of got funky. Fortunately, I gave them another shot with the SN30 Pro, cause while the D-pad isn't *perfect*, it's pretty solid & close to the original. I do find that the latest 8bitdo controllers are a good balance between retro look & feel, but with modern features that let you also play more recent games.

I do wish they'd make a controller with L & R buttons that are analogue for games that can benefit from it, such as racing games where they act like pedals instead of a button to just "go".