LaunchBox Community Forums

NeoGeo Issues

Kreo

I have very much attempted to stay away from posting here in the forums. Especially because I have read so much through them and feel dumb I still can't figure this out. So here goes. I use NeoRageEX  and I use it because I have all 181 NeoGeo games working with this emulator. I would like to now put them on my BigBox however I am sure now that NeoRageEx has no paramiters to launch games from outside of the emulators UI. The problem I have is I am unable to get retroarch to emulate ANY of the 181 NeoGeo games I have. This poses a problem and I have no idea how to make them work. I have downloaded every core for FBA in retroarch I have even tried using FBA standalone outside of retroarch and cannot get it to load a single game. Bios files are all where they belong it simply just wont load any games. What more info should I give to help me out with this because 5 days of trying myself has become so exhausting.

From what I remember I don't believe the NeoRageX roms are compatible with FBA or Mame, it is very old.

You would be better off trying and source a better set of NeoGeo roms somewhere which I don't know if anyone has done or get a complete FBA or Mame rom set and pull out your own NeoGeo set.

My personal recommendation though maybe not exactly what you want to do is to get a current complete Mame rom set and import that into LB using the Mame Full Set Import tool and have LB generate the NeoGeo playlist for you.

Unfortunately, apparently only the older versions of NeoRageX had command line options, and it only supported a small amount of games at that time from what I've read.  I would say that Lordmonkus' suggestion is the best one.  It's likely that the roms you have working for NeoRageX are not compatible with FBA, Mame, etc.  You likely would be better off getting either a set of FBA-compatible roms and switching to that (standalone or RA, whichever you are more comfortable with) or MAME roms (with matching emulator... ie. if you download MAME .200 roms, then you should use Mame .200 exe for best compatibility).  It's been my experience that FBA rom sets are also tricky to get working with so many versions out there, and some working on only certain versions of FBA.... MAME, for the most part, is a little more forgiving in that regard in my experience.

32 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

I just did a quick search for "internet archive NeoGeo" and there is a full set uploaded by GhostWare in the first couple of results, I have no idea what rom set version these are from but it might be worth a look if you don't want to get a complete Mame or FBA set.

Yes i did download that as well and your saying that maybe those ones work with FBA? I will give it a shot. Thank you and I will post  back my results. If all else fails I suppose I will begin looking into a full mame rom set. Mame emulator is very confusing to me so I have tried to stay away from it.

Edited by Kreo