LaunchBox Community Forums

Merging Two (2) Computers - Games and Playlists

livemoonkey

Cheers everyone!  I have a gaming PC I'm designing artwork, videos, logos, boxes, etc for all the games (currently over 100 games).  Some I work on my gaming laptop when away from home.  I have a lot of work done on my laptop, and more on my PC.  My question is......... can I merge the work that I have done on one system, into the other, without damaging anything.  I hope I am explaining my self.    Thank you!!!

Also, I will be sharing a video of my work in progress :) 

(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here)... Launchbox is a portable install, so you should be able to straight-up copy your install to another location whenever you want, then you can make changes to 1 install and simply overwrite the changes to the duplicate.

• 1 month later...

Hello all! So I completed lots of work. Some on my laptop and some on my home PC.

Bad news: I had some games installed on the laptop and some on the PC. When I merged the Launchbox folders from one to the other, the playlists, genres and all metadata got scrambled. When I copied the laptops LaunchBox folders over the PC's LaunchBox folders, it scrambled or removed most genres and sub-genres I had on my PC. 

This is what I'm trying to do:

I have many PC games.

Some on a laptop. Some on a PC.

Example: I have games "A, B ,C, D, E, F, G & H" on the PC. On the laptop I have games "F, G, H, I, J, K, L & M". 

PC games were imorted to LaunchBox on PC. Laptop games imported to LaunchBox on laptop.

Artwork for PC games created on PC, imported to LaunchBox on PC. Same for laptop.

So now PC games are organized by genre, playlist, etc on LaunchBox on PC, with artwork, videos and all. Same on laptop. 

If you notice not all PC games are on laptop. Not all laptop games are on PC. 

Copied all laptop games to PC. 

Copied laptop's LaunchBox to PC. Problem is, laptop games copied to PC are shoing up on PC LaunchBox unorganized and listed with no sub-genre and no playlist. 

What did I do wrong?