LaunchBox Community Forums

Total Storage needed

1quicksi

Ok, I admit I am an "completionist" and working on the MAME collection first.  Given that, what size drive would you think I need to house all the ROMS, and CHD files just for the MAME side of things?  I can easily see this is going to spiral out of control and trying to just allocate some space on my NAS dedicated to just this project...

1 minute ago, 1quicksi said:

Ok, I admit I am an "completionist" and working on the MAME collection first.  Given that, what size drive would you think I need to house all the ROMS, and CHD files just for the MAME side of things?  I can easily see this is going to spiral out of control and trying to just allocate some space on my NAS dedicated to just this project...

If you are just talking the Arcade games then you are looking at around 700GB depending on what romset type you get. If you are also talking MAME software list roms for consoles and computers then you will need multiple terabytes of HDD space.

Mame is only 60GB + 40GB of CHD files. Only a few games require CHD files to run so you don't need to download the full thing. The full thing is for people with actual cabinets that need a complete hard drive image (CHD). However if you want other consoles and systems, you will probably need 15TB to cover everything up to and including the PS2. The PS2 collection alone is 4TB. I have no idea what the complete WII and WIIU collections will take up and the PS3 is now being emulated as well. If you want those you'll need quite a lot more.

1 minute ago, Styphelus said:

Mame is only 60GB + 40GB of CHD files. Only a few games require CHD files to run so you don't need to download the full thing. The full thing is for people with actual cabinets that need a complete hard drive image (CHD). However if you want other consoles and systems, you will probably need 15TB to cover everything up to and including the PS2. The PS2 collection alone is 4TB. I have no idea what the complete WII and WIIU collections will take up and the PS3 is now being emulated as well. If you want those you'll need quite a lot more.

A MAME non-merged set is close to 120GB, and a full Arcade CHD set is around 550GB, hence my "around 700GB" quote.

15 minutes ago, Styphelus said:

Oh ok. I always get the split set. It's half the size (60GB). What is the advantage of getting the non-merged set? Getting a bit off-topic here.

One zip one game, so you could safely delete games you dont want as each game zip contains everything needed for that game to run. Hence the difference in set size as the non-merged has thousands of duplicated files as every capcom game has the capcom bios and qsound for example, where as in other sets the same file is shared across all the games that need it.