LaunchBox Community Forums

Do I need to reimport MAME roms with clones to see 2 player versions of 4 player games?

Medullah

Another n00b question as I set up my cabinet.  

I imported my MAME collection over the weekend, and opted to skip clones.  As I'm testing games out, I found that for games like TMNT and X-Men, the 4 player version seems to be the default - which means you can't select your character, it's dependent on which joystick you use.  Historically this hasn't been an issue as from the MAME interface I could just select the 2 player version and select who I wanted.  

I thought perhaps not seeing the 2 player version is because I skipped clones - do I need to reimport and add clones as additional applications to get what I need?  

Sorry if this has been answered a million times, I did a search but couldn't find conclusive answers.  You guys rock.

3 minutes ago, Medullah said:

Another n00b question as I set up my cabinet.  

I imported my MAME collection over the weekend, and opted to skip clones.  As I'm testing games out, I found that for games like TMNT and X-Men, the 4 player version seems to be the default - which means you can't select your character, it's dependent on which joystick you use.  Historically this hasn't been an issue as from the MAME interface I could just select the 2 player version and select who I wanted.  

I thought perhaps not seeing the 2 player version is because I skipped clones - do I need to reimport and add clones as additional applications to get what I need?  

Sorry if this has been answered a million times, I did a search but couldn't find conclusive answers.  You guys rock.

Yes this is because you chose not to import clones. I would recommend re-importing your MAME full romset and allow it to import the clones, uncheck all media downloads as you have it all already, the import will only take a couple of minutes. When you have done that you can right click games and go to Edit/Additional apps and you can specify which version is launched as default, just highlight the one you want and click the "make default" button.

image.thumb.png.f20335fa4aa4e0aee9c74b7c171b6cbe.png

Just now, neil9000 said:

Yes this is because you chose not to import clones. I would recommend re-importing your MAME full romset and allow it to import the clones, uncheck all media downloads as you have it all already, the import will only take a couple of minutes. When you have done that you can right click games and go to Edit/Additional apps and you can specify which version is launched as default, just highlight the one you want and click the "make default" button.

Perfect, thanks for the speedy reply and screenshot!  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Gonna bug you again because damn you've been helpful.  I reimported everything as expected here, is there a way to set which version is the "default" when launched?  So people can just click "TMNT" and get the 2 player version?

Edit - Answered my own question looking at your screenshot.  Me dumb.

Edited by Medullah
  • Haha 1