LaunchBox Community Forums

Dreamcast BIN Files

RaiderX1212

Please forgive me for asking this - I know there are threads about this but I just dont understand it clearly enough. I am extremely new to this...

How do I get the files I downloaded for a game - as in the screenshot below/attached, to be in cdi format?

I am following the video ETA Prime made as below but he refers to cdi files and when I download a Dreamcast game it exports into these Bin and a "CUE Other" files my PC picks up as VLC compatible?

I am probably looking like an idiot/ultra noob but I just dont understand this. ?

but

DreamCastExported.jpg

37 minutes ago, Charco said:

If you have your Dreamcast games in BIN + CUE format you can simply import the cue file into LaunchBox to launch that game. Test in your emulator first to make sure that your games are working before you import.

That does not work for "CUE" files.

The Redream emulator does read the gdi. though and a game works that has a gdi. extension but not CUE. So in my example Capcom vs. SNK 2 does not work.

16 hours ago, Charco said:

The CHDMAN tool can convert your bin + cue files to chd files, Redream can play those and they take up less space.

Thank you, but I have no idea how to use CHDMAN and I cannot find anything about it that makes any sense to me.

Again, being such a noob I really need an easy explanation of how to do this. ?

CHDMAN is included with MAME. If you have MAME check the folder and copy CHDMAN to the foder that contains your bin + cue Dreamcast games. Run the exe and it will run through all of the games in the folder and compress them to chd format. 

1 hour ago, Charco said:

CHDMAN is included with MAME. If you have MAME check the folder and copy CHDMAN to the foder that contains your bin + cue Dreamcast games. Run the exe and it will run through all of the games in the folder and compress them to chd format. 

I searched for CHDMAN in MAME and found the application. I then copied it into the folder for Capcom vs SNK 2 and double clicked on it.

The screen flashed for a second and then nothing else happened. I dont understand what I am doing wrong. It is really just this game that I still need. I am able to find all the other Dreamcast games ROMS online in gdi. format but just not this game and with my luck this was my favorite game on Dreamcast.

CHDMAN - NTHING.jpg

Yielded the same result as before.

Screen flashes as if it tried to open a window and then nothing. I tried running as Administrator but the same issue.

I give up on this game now. Will just have to accept I cannot play it. Well maybe I can get the PS2 ROM for it when I get around to setting up PS2 on Launchbox.

CHDMAN - NTHING22.jpg

Have you tried putting the CHDMAN exe and the BAT file in the folder above and running it from there? As in, your bin and cue file are in a folder called (Capcom vs SNK 2- Millionnaire Fighting 2001 (Japan). Run the bat in the folder that contains that folder.

On 6/14/2019 at 9:22 AM, Charco said:

Have you tried putting the CHDMAN exe and the BAT file in the folder above and running it from there? As in, your bin and cue file are in a folder called (Capcom vs SNK 2- Millionnaire Fighting 2001 (Japan). Run the bat in the folder that contains that folder.

Same issue.

Oh well, I give up now. Maybe the actual files are also not correct and causing the problem. At least all the other Dreamcast games I wanted I was able to find online in gdi.

• 3 years later...

For anyone reading this now, the solution is to put both the bat file and the CHDMAN exe into the folder that contains the game folders with the bin and cue files (e.g. if you have a directory structure like games/game1/game1.cue, put the files into the games/ directory), and then double-click the bat file.