LaunchBox Community Forums

Issue with some NeoGeo games in RA FB neo core

DaveC1964

So I am trying to set up NeoGeo in LB.  I am using the FBA Neo cores in retroarch (tried a few of the variations) .  Some games work fine, some don't even load.  For example Pulstar won't load.  I try the same exact ROM in MAME and it works fine.  I am confused, why are some games working but others not even if the ROM is good?  What should I try?

Edited by DaveC1964

It depends on the rom set the rom is from and the version of the emulator. When it comes to arcade games there are older dumps of roms that worked with the emulator at the time but may not have been 100% properly dumped. Then the emulation gets better and more accurate and that old rom doesn't work because of a flaw in the dump and requires a newer and better dump of the game.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to know if you don't know what rom set version your roms are from. You either have to just trial and error it or look for a rom set online that tells you what version the set actually is and not download just random roms hoping they work. Both Mame and FBA sets do have version numbers when you download the sets from a good site.