LaunchBox Community Forums

OK i screwed up and need help with backups

RegularRegs

I looked around the forums and didnt find anything like this.

Ive been spending the past few days making big box look prettier. that neon deluxe theme is dope. so for a change ive been using big box. While on there i realized that there were certain problems with the metadata for some of the games. across multiple platforms. so i stupidly hit the update metadata button for my entire collection, forgetting that i took hours upon hours updating the genres for almost 3,000 games. making sure beat em ups are actually beat em ups. separating shoot em ups from regular shooters. point is, it took forever. i changed so much in the genre department that i want back. It totally reset. anyone that has a mame set knows how dumb the genres are on there. so i started changing some back and realized that there might be a backup file somewhere. problem is, all of the settings backups are from today, and im not actually sure what day i reset the metadata. i think it was 2 days ago. so i do have some backup files from that time period, but they are platform specific

backups.png

1 minute ago, PlagueDox said:

maybe a better more pointed question would be... do any of these backup files, or any other backup files contain the genre info that i had saved for months before i idiotically updated everything and ruined everything

All the ones with dates before you changed things will have that data still, thats kind of the point of Launchbox saving those backups.

2 minutes ago, PlagueDox said:

maybe a better more pointed question would be... do any of these backup files, or any other backup files contain the genre info that i had saved for months before i idiotically updated everything and ruined everything

Also its good practice to simply backup your whole data folder.

• Like 1

im hoping the answer is yes because then it looks like it was on the 14th that i updated the metadata for everything. (being that all of the files are there) so everything before it should be good to go. problem is if it doesnt and i just load those files in, im going to lose certain things i wanted updated. itll still be better than having to redo all of the genres. that was painstaking and super tedious

Just now, PlagueDox said:

alright so i need to go to before the metadata update and manually put in each backup file for each system. is that right?

I would copy all the backups you need elsewhere first, then you need to rename them all by deleting the dates on them so they look normal then drop them in the platform folder overwriting the others when prompted.

ok that worked for the most part. Most systems had earlier backups but some of the best ones all had updates from only today. snes nes genesis and windows only had what i just was doing to manually correct everything. i know thats on me because i should have fixed it from the start. But i would say that being that the whole backups folder is only 57 mb for me. I'd imagine it would be a good idea to backup something like 20 or 30 old saves rather than the 5 for each platform. because dummies like me exist. anyway, thank you, that just shaved off hours of fixing my system. hopefully i can scrounge up the money for a lifetime subscription as my big box is up in august.

you guys are great. thanks again

1 minute ago, PlagueDox said:

ok that worked for the most part. Most systems had earlier backups but some of the best ones all had updates from only today. snes nes genesis and windows only had what i just was doing to manually correct everything. i know thats on me because i should have fixed it from the start. But i would say that being that the whole backups folder is only 57 mb for me. I'd imagine it would be a good idea to backup something like 20 or 30 old saves rather than the 5 for each platform. because dummies like me exist. anyway, thank you, that just shaved off hours of fixing my system. hopefully i can scrounge up the money for a lifetime subscription as my big box is up in august.

you guys are great. thanks again

Thats just you, i have many backups of my systems in the backup folder. I believe a backup is created anytime you edit something in a platform.

image.thumb.png.2ada7c29d458f7121e862c21d2f5a46f.png

i recently ran a clean up media but its safe to assume that wouldnt touch that folder. idk why im limited to only 5 for most platforms. it says 25 for the main xml file in that setting. but im not seeing anything that would account for the amount all of the platforms and other xml backups.

Edited by PlagueDox