LaunchBox Community Forums

Problem with BigBox loading times from startup

SpuRge

I want BigBox to start when my computer starts with a startup Video.

Here is a list of startup times for BigBox on my computer:

PC Boot to desktop: 00:20.24

BB From Desktop: 00:15.39
BB From Desktop with Startup video: 00:16.96
BB From Startup Folder: 00:55.48
BB From Startup Folder with Startup video: 01:17.84

That last one is what I want to use but takes way to long.

Here is a detailed list what happens when I load BB From Startup Folder with Startup video:

Boot to desktop: 00:20.08

Black screen: 00:36.69

Startup video: 01:03.40

BigBox: 01:17.84

As you can see when my desktop is loaded it takes almost 17 seconds before I get the black screen, and that black screen stays for almost 27 seconds before my startup video begins.

Result

If I start my computer and start BigBox manually it takes about 38 seconds to load from shutdown.

If I do it automatic in the startup folder it takes 78 seconds to load from shutdown.

My Question

Why do I get that black screen?

It takes 40 seconds more to load BigBox from Startup. Why is that and what can I do about it?

My Specs

Windows 10

Intel i7-4770 3.40GHz

16 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

Edited by SpuRge

55 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Do you have a spinning hard drive or an SSD? How fast is the spinning hard drive? I'm guessing startup performance is so slow because of your hard drive, and you probably have lots of things competing for load time on boot up, which ends up slowing it down more.

My windows is installed on a SSD, but my Arcade folder with LB is installed on a spinning hard drive. I have disabled everything to load on boot except BigBox. I don't know the actual speed of my spinning HD.

I can't place LB on my SSD because I just have 150GB left. I use it just for Win10

But the strange thing is that if I load BB from my desktop it starts fast, and that black screen?

Edited by SpuRge

3 hours ago, SpuRge said:

My windows is installed on a SSD, but my Arcade folder with LB is installed on a spinning hard drive. I have disabled everything to load on boot except BigBox. I don't know the actual speed of my spinning HD.

I can't place LB on my SSD because I just have 150GB left. I use it just for Win10

But the strange thing is that if I load BB from my desktop it starts fast, and that black screen?

Honestly I don't know why that is. I have several similar setups and I've never seen anything like that. How are you starting Big Box on startup? The Start menu's Startup folder?

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

Honestly I don't know why that is. I have several similar setups and I've never seen anything like that. How are you starting Big Box on startup? The Start menu's Startup folder?

Yes, is there another way to do that? It would be easy if Big Box had the option to start at windows startup but I don't know if that is possible? Maybe in the future?

Edited by SpuRge

19 hours ago, SpuRge said:

Yes, is there another way to do that? It would be easy if Big Box had the option to start at windows startup but I don't know if that is possible? Maybe in the future?

Putting it in the Start menu Startup section is how we typically recommend doing it, and I haven't heard of startup times being problematic like that, so I'm still lost on that. There is a way to boot into Big Box as the shell, but we don't generally recommend that. There are threads around here with instructions for that, but I don't have a link handy, so you would need to search, but that might be a good test at least.

6 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Putting it in the Start menu Startup section is how we typically recommend doing it, and I haven't heard of startup times being problematic like that, so I'm still lost on that. There is a way to boot into Big Box as the shell, but we don't generally recommend that. There are threads around here with instructions for that, but I don't have a link handy, so you would need to search, but that might be a good test at least.

Thanks Jason. I installed a second LB on my SSD with 1 emulator running and the loading times were good, so I think my spinning HD is the problem.

I boucht a 2TB SSD, so tomorrow I'll try it out.

Thanks for helping 

• Like 1