LaunchBox Community Forums

Game launches in Mame directly, but not through RL (alternate emulators tab)

garrett521

I have Mame games from different sets, so I am having to use the Alternate Emulators tab in RL.  The vast majority of these games launch just fine.  However, there are several games that I can successfully launch through Mame directly, but when I try to launch in RL, the fade screen appears and I can hear the audio "Loading", after a few seconds I hear the audio "Loading Complete", can see the bezel flash, then I am kicked back into LB/BB.  I have also tried this using the RLUI to launch with the same results.  All games are green when auditing through RLUI.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Oddly enough, I have the same issue but I'm not using RL.  Games that use to work just fine are now behaving exactly as you stated.  I can launch the MAME emulator version and manually select the game and it loads without issue.  If I launch it from LaunchBox, I get loading splash and then it drops to back to LB.

8 hours ago, crawln said:

Oddly enough, I have the same issue but I'm not using RL.  Games that use to work just fine are now behaving exactly as you stated.  I can launch the MAME emulator version and manually select the game and it loads without issue.  If I launch it from LaunchBox, I get loading splash and then it drops to back to LB.

What version Mame are you using?

If it is an old one and you are on a current version it is likely due to the new Startup and Pause screen functions in Launchbox. You will have to go into Launchbox and edit your Mame emulator set-up. In the default command line box delete the portion of the script that has "-keyboardprovider dinput". I do not remember exactly but I think this affects Mame versions before either the .180's or .170's

@garrett521 I cannot help with your RocketLauncher issue as I do not use it. We do have a small group of users on the forum that do hopefully one will chime in. 

Hello all.  I figured out the issue and a fix in case anyone needs it.  My Mame module settings in RL have Legacy Mode set to True (which appears to be used for older versions of Mame).  Therefore, if trying to use a more up to date version, the module does not allow the emulator to launch.  I fixed this by making a copy of the module and renaming it "Mame non legacy".  Then, I changed that module's Legacy Mode setting to false.  Finally, I assigned the newer versions of the emulator to use the changed module.  Now newer versions of the emulator work as expected.  All is good.  Thanks.

14 minutes ago, garrett521 said:

Hello all.  I figured out the issue and a fix in case anyone needs it.  My Mame module settings in RL have Legacy Mode set to True (which appears to be used for older versions of Mame).  Therefore, if trying to use a more up to date version, the module does not allow the emulator to launch.  I fixed this by making a copy of the module and renaming it "Mame non legacy".  Then, I changed that module's Legacy Mode setting to false.  Finally, I assigned the newer versions of the emulator to use the changed module.  Now newer versions of the emulator work as expected.  All is good.  Thanks.

Note : Currently up to MAME 0.211 will work fine with RL

0.212 will not currently work as emulator has had some changes. New module has to be created first, so until then don't update past 0.211

Edited by cataclysm67