LaunchBox Community Forums

Changing emulation cores in Rocket Launcher

WillyT

I have a pack (Launchbox No Intro) that utilizes Rocket Launcher as it's basic emulator, at least labeled as such in any Launchbox window of that nature through and to which I navigate. I haven't been able to figure out how to change a given core for a specific game, in this case Perfect Dark. Perfect Dark freezes when loading and I would like to switch cores to see if that may be a solution. Retroarch is the actual driving emulator but it works via Rocket Launcher which has Project 64 listed for Nintendo 64 games. When I go into Retroarch and view games recently played it lists the 64 games as using "Mupen64plus OpenGL" as a core. I haven't been able to find an avenue that even list cores in Launchbox relative to Rocket Launcher and no apparent way to address change from the list of cores in Retroarch (that I've been able to figure out thus far). If anyone has some knowledge they can bestow on me it would perhaps save me a few of the probable tens of hours (hopefully not hundreds-but I'll do it) ahead of me learning all about Rocket Lancher and how it is integrated with Launchbox, Retroarch, etc., and it would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by WillyT

22 minutes ago, WillyT said:

I have a pack (Launchbox No Intro) that utilizes Rocket Launcher as it's basic emulator, at least labeled as such in any Launchbox window of that nature through and to which I navigate. I haven't been able to figure out how to change a given core for a specific game, in this case Perfect Dark. Perfect Dark freezes when loading and I would like to switch cores to see if that may be a solution. Retroarch is the actual driving emulator but it works via Rocket Launcher which has Project 64 listed for Nintendo 64 games. When I go into Retroarch and view games recently played it lists the 64 games as using "Mupen64plus OpenGL" as a core. I haven't been able to find an avenue that even list cores in Launchbox relative to Rocket Launcher and no apparent way to address change from the list of cores in Retroarch (that I've been able to figure out thus far). If anyone has some knowledge they can bestow on me it would perhaps save me a few of the probable tens of hours (hopefully not hundreds-but I'll do it) ahead of me learning all about Rocket Lancher and how it is integrated with Launchbox, Retroarch, etc., and it would be greatly appreciated.

OK, you need to change the emulator used inside of rocketlauncher UI, i cant help you there as i dont use it myself. Also we dont support pre made Launchbox builds here as we have no idea how it was setup, so troubleshooting is a shitshow.

I recommend asking on colpipes discord server.

I understand. I was hoping someone out there could tell me something about it, figuring I'm not the only person with this build, as I have found zip on BubeTube, or generally Google, literally zip. I will consider dumping the whole thing and starting over. Thanks just the same. 

1 minute ago, WillyT said:

I understand. I was hoping someone out there could tell me something about it, figuring I'm not the only person with this build, as I have found zip on BubeTube, or generally Google, literally zip. I will consider dumping the whole thing and starting over. Thanks just the same. 

Well thats the problem with downloading a pre-built build, you have no idea how it was put together, and the point of a pre-built is that it is what it is. If you wanted different games/emulators and such its easier just to build your own the way you want it in the first place.

As i said though you need to change it in RocketLauncherUI which is in the rocketlauncher folder, if i recall you highlite the platform on the left then click the emulator tab at the top and choose one. But its been a long time since i used it.

The maker of the build you have has a discord dedicated to his builds so that the best place to ask. This is the official Launchbox forums and we do not offer support to pre made builds for the reasons i stated in my previous reply.

I've viewed all of his tutorials, many more than once. I will review them again and see if this is addressed. I appreciate the fast and honest response. All just stepping stones, and perhaps I've reached that stone that suggests hopping in another direction. As an old instructor of mine once said, "sometimes the most difficult yet sensible thing to do is admit it's time to just start all over again." 

I found something interesting in the ROM files for Perfect Dark, N64. -  the launch file is as such : Games\Nintendo 64\Perfect Dark\(USA) (Rev A)-1.n64  There are two files in the main game directory for Perfect Dark, one reads as the launch reads and the other doesn't have the -1. I remember viewing an obscure vid where this was addressed and for that person the -1 was a problem. I have checked all of the other files, launch entries and main folder for the other games in the 64 file and none of theme have the -1 in them - only Perfect Dark. Have you seen this issue before?