LaunchBox Community Forums

MegaDrive European Game Titles

killergorilla

I've just recently installed Launchbox and have been impressed by how easy it is to get up and running but I have a couple of issues with it, mainly around me being from Europe and wishing to see Genesis games shown with their European Mega Drive titles.

I'm fine with getting the European artwork to show up as most of my roms are named so that they're picked up as the European versions, but the titles always show up as the US equivalents.

Examples:
Empire of Steel (Steel Empire)
Gynoug (Wings of Wor)
World Cup Italia '90 (World Championship Soccer)

I understand that in the database the main game entry is setup from the US perspective with the alternative names simply added to it.  I don't really want to manually keep editing my local data in launchbox to get around this, and would think that the most sensible suggestion would be to go the source itself (the launchbox database) and add new games with the European titles as separate entries?  I'm happy to do this, I just don't want to put in the effort if it's simply going to get thrown out because there's some other way of doing it that I've simply missed.

EDIT:
I've noticed that European Club Soccer has been setup as a separate entry from World Trophy Soccer (despite having European Club Soccer as an Alternative name) so I'm assuming the above would be OK?

Edited by killergorilla

No KG, you can't add them as seperate titles and if there are European versions in the database which already exist in their US form then the European version should be deleted.

What really needs to be done is have the ability to scrape the appropriate titles when we're scraping for information, we can already add alternate titles for different regions and we can set LaunchBox to scrape the priotised region artwork...but not the title..The only person who can make this change is @Jason Carr but he's got a lot of other things on his todo list at the moment..

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Belgarath said:

No KG, you can't add them as seperate titles and if there are European versions in the database which already exist in their US form then the European version should be deleted. 

What really needs to be done is have the ability to scrape the appropriate titles when we're scraping for information, we can already add alternate titles for different regions and we can set LaunchBox to scrape the priotised region artwork...but not the title..The only person who can make this change is @Jason Carr but he's got a lot of other things on his todo list at the moment..

This is true; it's something I should add. If a ROM is from a Europe, it should use the name from that region. There's a lot of complication in all of that, such as an alternate title being from the UK, for instance, but the ROM being from Europe, but I'll add that to my list here.

• Like 1

Ah ok, thanks for the swift response.

Good to know it's up for consideration at some point, if you need any help testing or updating the database give me a shout.

Also, I'm assuming the same thing has been considered for the systems themselves?  I'd rather have the Genesis listed as Mega Drive with a Mega Drive logo as well.

53 minutes ago, Belgarath said:

Haha! Hello Belg, just realised it's you ?  Small world eh?

6 minutes ago, killergorilla said:

Ah ok, thanks for the swift response.

Good to know it's up for consideration at some point, if you need any help testing or updating the database give me a shout.

Also, I'm assuming the same thing has been considered for the systems themselves?  I'd rather have the Genesis listed as Mega Drive with a Mega Drive logo as well.

Platforms can be named anything you like, and you can use any logo as long as the name matches the platform,

2128660923_ScreenShot08-26-19at08_35AM.thumb.PNG.00d0359f5402acee683e052c053d9376.PNG

Just now, neil9000 said:

Platforms can be named anything you like, and you can use any logo as long as the name matches the platform,

2128660923_ScreenShot08-26-19at08_35AM.thumb.PNG.00d0359f5402acee683e052c053d9376.PNG

Yeah I'm aware that you can edit pretty much anything in Launchbox which is great, but I'd rather the information and artwork was in the database already and there be no need for me to change anything other than the region of the system for example.  It'd just be the icing on the cake :)