LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME games no longer launch in Launchbox

amcfarla

I have no idea what has changed with Launchbox but my MAME games worked fine before but today they just stopped launching from within Launchbox.  I can launch them fine with MAME but not in Launchbox anymore.  This is one example of a game I can launch fine in MAME:

https://imgur.com/cSt14KC

This is directory for MAME but it no longer is working with launchbox:

https://imgur.com/ADIrgzi

I don't even know where to begin troubleshooting this since Launchbox can launch the MAME.exe fine and then within MAME I type the name of the rom and it launches that way.  When I right click on the game then Launch with.. and choose MAME I get a 'now loading screen' and then it comes back to my list of games and it never loads.  Anyone have any idea why this stopped working.  I tried to embedd the images on this post but I have no idea how to add an image so I just posted the links of the images.

Edited by amcfarla

In your mame (edit emulators screen) click on the associated platforms tab and make sure it still lists the name of the arcade platform as you have it showing in Launchbox. Then in the Edit Game screen of a game click on the emulation tab and make sure it is showing Mame as the emulator. If they games run in mame it usually means a disconnect in Launchbox. 

What version of mame are you using?

4 minutes ago, amcfarla said:

I am using MAME .148.1 .  Looking at the edit emulator screen this is what I am showing.

https://imgur.com/a/CcOzsfd

I have tried making multiple changes to fix this so I am not sure if this is what it was originally.  I also tried launching the ROM from a command prompt using MAME 'nameofrom' which did work.

The issue is how old your mame version is and Launchbox's new Pause Screen features. You will have to go into your edit emulator screen for Mame and delete the default command line showing "-keyboardprovider dinput". Your games should run, but you will not be able to use the new Pause Screen options inside of Launchbox/BigBox. 

If you are going to keep Launchbox and keep it updated I would look to also update your romset and Mame. As new features come to Launchbox they are tested with more up to date version of emulators. 

59 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

The issue is how old your mame version is and Launchbox's new Pause Screen features. You will have to go into your edit emulator screen for Mame and delete the default command line showing "-keyboardprovider dinput". Your games should run, but you will not be able to use the new Pause Screen options inside of Launchbox/BigBox. 

If you are going to keep Launchbox and keep it updated I would look to also update your romset and Mame. As new features come to Launchbox they are tested with more up to date version of emulators. 

Well at least that gives me the answer on why it isn't working. I just started a download of the .213 ROM set. Once I get those downloaded I will re-add them back to launchbox.  Thanks for the clarification.

20 minutes ago, amcfarla said:

Well at least that gives me the answer on why it isn't working. I just started a download of the .213 ROM set. Once I get those downloaded I will re-add them back to launchbox.  Thanks for the clarification.

Make sure you update Mame as well to .213

On 9/8/2019 at 5:13 PM, Retro808 said:

Make sure you update Mame as well to .213

So I updated the ROM set and the new Mame and everything is working. Just trying to get everything working correctly with the X-Arcade stick but we are in a much better situation than we were yesterday.  Thanks @Retro808 for the help in resolving this.

21 minutes ago, amcfarla said:

So I updated the ROM set and the new Mame and everything is working. Just trying to get everything working correctly with the X-Arcade stick but we are in a much better situation than we were yesterday.  Thanks @Retro808 for the help in resolving this.

Glad you are back in order. You should have no issue getting the Xarcade all set with Mame. I use it on one of my cabinets with no issues. 

Golden Tee wasn't working correctly but I went to X-Arcade's site and grabbed the config file for mame and stuck that in the directory and the track ball started working correctly (wouldn't work before doing that)(option 2 here https://support.xgaming.com/support/solutions/articles/12000003052-configuring-mame-for-x-arcade-use-the-easy-way).  I am just getting the buttons straighten out at the moment but I think I have everything working correctly now.

Edited by amcfarla