LaunchBox Community Forums

Can't load LibVlc dlls, check the platform and LibVlc target platform (should be same, x86 or x64).

nullNOVA

Hello all,

I've been scratching my head with this one for a while now and it's starting to get frustrating, and so I've come to the forums after exhausting all other options that came to my head.

Recently, I had the smart idea to upload Launchbox, ROMs and Emulators to my Google Drive, as I heard Launchbox is portable (despite needing to change the paths for the ROMs and Emulators.

I did that, got it all set up OK with the filepaths, the ROMs and Emulators are being found just fine.

However, I'm getting this error:

(Inner Exception)

无法载入指定的模块.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 10.1
Type:    System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception
Site:    IntPtr (System.String)
Source:  Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows

at (String )
   at Meta.Vlc.Win32Api.LoadLibrary(String lpFileName)
   at (String )

(Outer Exception)

Can't load LibVlc dlls, check the platform and LibVlc target platform (should be same, x86 or x64).

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 10.1
Type:    Meta.Vlc.LibVlcLoadLibraryException
Site:    Void (System.String)
Source:  Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows

at (String )
   at Meta.Vlc.LibVlcManager.LoadLibVlc(String libVlcDirectory)
   at ()
   at Meta.Vlc.Wpf.ApiManager.Initialize()
   at Meta.Vlc.Wpf.ApiManager.Initialize(String libVlcPath, String[] vlcOption)
   at (VlcPlayer , String , String[] )
   at Meta.Vlc.Wpf.VlcPlayer.Initialize(String libVlcPath, String[] libVlcOption)
   at (VlcPlayer , EventArgs )
   at Meta.Vlc.Wpf.VlcPlayer.OnInitialized(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.TryFireInitialized()
   at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.AddLogicalChild(Object child)
   at System.Windows.Controls.UIElementCollection.AddInternal(UIElement element)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Controls.VideoControl.<.ctor>b__8_0()
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

So, I can see that it seems to be an issue with VLC and the libvlc.dll I can see in the VLC folder, using my google-fu I looked this up and it was recommended to close LB/BB, delete the VLC folder and re-run LB/BB. This creates the folder again, however, the same error still remains. Tried this a few times, even launching as admin to no avail.

I've checked the properties of the .dll file as I saw on another post that they can be blocked, this wasn't the case for me I don't see that tickbox.

I'm going to wager that LaunchBox cannot find the .dll as if there's a filepath that hasn't been changed, I've searched through every .xml and .config but, alas, I can't find anything.

Please help!

EDIT:

Another interesting development, if I choose Windows Media Player for video playback in Launchbox, the error does not appear, however, no matter the setting in BigBox the error always appears on launch before the start-up video.

Edited by nullNOVA
Added extra information.

Managed to solve my issue, it was being caused by the file path containing special characters. Which I find odd because the folder Launchbox itself was in the directory with the special character, but the VLC folder is within the Launchbox folder anyway? So it didn't need to go above the Launchbox directory to where the special character was, confusing! It was also causing issues with Retroarch so hey-ho, all's well that end's well.

My filepath looked like this for anyone interested:

• Google Drive
    • Gaming
      • Emulators ?
        • LaunchBox
          • VLC
        • RetroArch
      • ROMs

So the filepath from LanchBox to VLC should only have been ./VLC/vlclib.dll so I'm not sure why it caused an issue.

Edited by nullNOVA