LaunchBox Community Forums

Games being wrongly deleted - what's the fix?

Belmont

I'm diligently tracking changes to metadata for some platforms as I'm curating my own collections. Sometimes (rarely, but sometimes), i will notice games being deleted from the Game Database for no good reasons (to the extent of my own research).

I'm wondering what's the thing to do in those cases? Re-add the game again (which will cause the game to have a new ID)? Contact someone? I've noticed in the past that some games I had submitted for deletions were "accepted" and then eventually came back.

The process here seems to be a bit obscure. Thoughts?

Ex: I had submitted the NES game "Ace Harding: Lost in Las Vegas" for deletion, which is a non-existant game (as far as I could tell, there isn't even a proto of it on carts or otherwise). It was accepted, and then it came back (whatever), so bringing a game back from the dead is possible.

Ex: The perfectly valid game NES game "Brush Roller" was recently deleted, and I think we need it back.

I realize these are the pitfalls of crowdsourcing -- I'm just looking for guidance on how to deal with those situations.

Cheers!

Edited by Belmont

5 hours ago, Belmont said:

I'm diligently tracking changes to metadata for some platforms as I'm curating my own collections. Sometimes (rarely, but sometimes), i will notice games being deleted from the Game Database for no good reasons (to the extent of my own research).

I'm wondering what's the thing to do in those cases? Re-add the game again (which will cause the game to have a new ID)? Contact someone? I've noticed in the past that some games I had submitted for deletions were "accepted" and then eventually came back.

The process here seems to be a bit obscure. Thoughts?

If a perfectly valid entry has been deleted for some reason, then re-adding it back in is the way to go. Sometimes duplicate entries get deleted as they should, but not everyone understands the fact that sometimes two differently named entries are one and the same game. For example...

Ex: The perfectly valid game NES game "Brush Roller" was recently deleted, and I think we need it back.

I submitted this for deletion. This game was released in Asia as Brush Roller and in Europe (more specifically Spain) as Booky Man (as per box title). Now, the reason for deleting Brush Roller was because the game was released outside Asia, the title of European release takes priority over Asian one. Basically, if a game has been released in North America, the name of that release takes priority over every other region. After that, Europe and after that Asia/Japan and rest of the world. So NA-> EU -> JP/Asia etc.

This is one of the reasons why GamesDB has Alternate Name field, so that we can easily group different regional releases of the same game in one entry, thus avoiding duplicates.

Ex: I had submitted the NES game "Ace Harding: Lost in Las Vegas" for deletion, which is a non-existant game (as far as I could tell, there isn't even a proto of it on carts or otherwise). It was accepted, and then it came back (whatever), so bringing a game back from the dead is possible.

You certainly did the right thing by submitting that entry for deletion, but I guess someone was adamant to adding it back in. In this case the responsibility falls to us, the moderators of the database, to research if the entry to be added is actually valid or not.