LaunchBox Community Forums

No Big Box??

Namedos

I'm on the current Beta version of LaunchBox which is what I typically use.  The last couple of beta versions I've notice a couple of things.  First, I typically close out using the X or close button on the window.  When I've done that or when I exit the application a remainder of the application is running in the background.  I've got to ctrl+alt+del to pull up the task manager to close out the background application.

Second, I don't normally use Big Box but when I tried to open it yesterday and today, nothing happens.  What I mean by that is, it closes out LaunchBox but then it never opens Big Box.  When I go into the task manager I don't see anything for Big Box (If there even would be) and the background app for LaunchBox is still there.

I've restarted my computer several times.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks!

Hi @Namedos; first off, killing LaunchBox and/or Big Box with the Task Manager is asking for trouble. LaunchBox and Big Box stay open in the background (should be a max of a minute or two) after closing in order to finish saving all settings and data. If you kill it, it won't be able to save stuff and you'll likely eventually end up with corrupted or missing data. I strongly advise not to kill it with Task Manager unless you're 100% certain that the process is locked up, which should be very rare. You will end up messing up your data if you keep killing unnecessarily.

If Big Box isn't starting, it may be related to the above. It also may be that you just need to wait a minute or two for the saving process to actually finish (you may be starving it from previous Task Manager kills).

LaunchBox will start up fine.  When I select BigBox nothing seems to happen.  I stopped keeping track of the time after 30 minutes.  I went into my task manager to see what was going on.  Strangely enough I found four background version of 7-Zip Console all running at the same time.

image.thumb.png.ed6d2171062a3ee91e188b18d15d6804.png

Once I closed out all four of them then BigBox started.  The odd thing about this...I don't have WinZip installed on my computer.  I did a bunch of searching and couldn't find much about this.  I did try a search on my computer for the 7Z.exe file and found two versions of it in my Nvidia folders.  Took the bull by the horns and deleted both of those.  I tried installing WinZip and the formally uninstalling it.  After a fresh re-boot, no WinZip on the computer, The image above is what I found again.

Very strange.  Anyone seen anything like this?

55 minutes ago, Namedos said:

LaunchBox will start up fine.  When I select BigBox nothing seems to happen.  I stopped keeping track of the time after 30 minutes.  I went into my task manager to see what was going on.  Strangely enough I found four background version of 7-Zip Console all running at the same time.

image.thumb.png.ed6d2171062a3ee91e188b18d15d6804.png

Once I closed out all four of them then BigBox started.  The odd thing about this...I don't have WinZip installed on my computer.  I did a bunch of searching and couldn't find much about this.  I did try a search on my computer for the 7Z.exe file and found two versions of it in my Nvidia folders.  Took the bull by the horns and deleted both of those.  I tried installing WinZip and the formally uninstalling it.  After a fresh re-boot, no WinZip on the computer, The image above is what I found again.

Very strange.  Anyone seen anything like this?

7-zip is included with Big Box; it appears that it's trying to extract libraries that Big Box needs to run correctly on startup. If it's never returning, then all I can figure is that maybe it's a file permissions issue or something of that nature. You could try deleting the LaunchBox\VLC and LaunchBox\CefSharp folders to see if that helps.

Jason - appreciate the help!  I deleted both the VLC and the CefSharp folder.  Same problem.  BigBox won't launch until I manually delete the two 7-Zip console files.  Once that happens it starts right up.

Should I try a fresh version of LaunchBox?  If so, what is the best way to do that?  Thanks again.

On 9/24/2019 at 8:44 AM, Namedos said:

Jason - appreciate the help!  I deleted both the VLC and the CefSharp folder.  Same problem.  BigBox won't launch until I manually delete the two 7-Zip console files.  Once that happens it starts right up.

Should I try a fresh version of LaunchBox?  If so, what is the best way to do that?  Thanks again.

Yeah, that is definitely the first time I've ever seen that, pretty weird. Yeah, it would be worth trying a clean version of LaunchBox to see if you have the same issue. You can just install LaunchBox to a different folder than your existing setup, and see if it works.