LaunchBox Community Forums

I tend to use a few different controllers (8bitdo SN 30 Pro, M30, Switch Pro Controller), and I'm sure I'm not alone. How do you manage different controllers without remapping them each time? (Specifically RetroArch, but in general as well)

PurpleTentacle

I tend to just stick to my 8bitdo SN 30 Pro (just ordered the Pro Plus after all the great reviews), but sometimes I like to switch it up, mostly to the 8bitdo M30 (I really enjoy it for Sega games, since the D-pad is a bit more Sega-like, and the button layout feels more legit). Problem is, the buttons end up getting mapped in weird ways, like the L shoulder button ends up acting like the Start button. Now, in RetroArch, it's not hard to remap the buttons, but it is time consuming to do it every time. I know RetroArch has various gamepad profiles so that the buttons automatically get mapped, but I find that the button layout ends up being different than what it should be (for the record, I've tried starting the 8bitdo controllers in the same modes (I.E. X-input, D-input), and issues still exist, like, for some reason, the D-pad on my SN 30 Pro works, but the D-pad on my M30 needs to be remapped before it works).

So I'm not sure if there's something that I have set up improperly or if this is simply a an inherent issue when using different controllers... or if RetroArch has a way of dealing with this that I'm not aware of (I mostly use RetroArch when I can, due to how uniform it makes everything). 

There's 2 solutions that I've thought of, but neither solution is what I'm looking to achieve (to be able to use RetroArch by default, and just have it work). I always have multiple emulators installed for the same system (if available), so option 1 would be to config the controllers settings in the other emulators so that I just use those emulators when I'm looking to use my M30 controller (which would be simple enough since I basically only use it for Sega games, so it would just mean making Kega Fusion configed to work with the M30, but then I wouldn't be able to map my Pro Controller for other systems). Option #2 is to make specific configs for RetroArch, and then setting up new instances of RetroArch in LaunchBox with a command line that loads the controller settings. That way, I can simply use "Launch With RetroArch M30" for when I want to use that controller (and a Pro Controller setting too). Only problem is that I feel that can make things a bit messy, and I prefer to keep things like that streamlined when I can. 

tl;dr My ultimate goal is to be able to plug in any given controller in RetroArch & have it work the way it should.

I don't think there will ever truly be a way to get this type of thing to work until windows let's you set up usb ports to a controller and lock it in.  I have so many original controllers plugged in and mapped, I don't dare unplug anything or add a wireless thing because I'm so afraid it will bump something around.

Yeah, I know the feeling. There's something nice about having everything set up just right, and I hate having to redo it.

I tried making a core specific config, and then making a separate emulator entry into LaunchBox so that it loaded the config, like I mentioned. Some of the button settings are an improvement, but not all of them. I think the problem is that some of the changes that have to be made are in the core settings, and some of the input changes are in the general settings. I need to look into it more. It's kind of a shame because I find the using the M30 controller for Sega games feels right. I didn't even grow up with any Sega consoles, but I did play them at a friend's house (not sure how much the M30 would satisfy a hardcore Genesis fan, but I enjoy it).