LaunchBox Community Forums

LB on Android: Notes after 4 days of testing

tycho

After a couple of days of testing, I'm really liking where LB on Android is, especially out of the gate. The emulator setup and configuration is similar to the experience on my Windows machine (trial and error but rewarding when completed), and I'm impressed that so many features are working.

That being said, I have some questions that I was wondering if other users have come across, and while I know that some of these are emulator specific, the LB community is pretty knowledgeable about these things, so maybe someone can help.

Playstation Emulation
Using Retroarch+PSCX-Rearmed

• I noticed that when exporting out of LB, some of my PSX roms didn't make the journey. The files that launch (on my main Windows LB build) from a .pbp or .bin transferred fine, but any file that used a .cue or .m3u didn't. I had to manually add the .iso and .m3u files to the LB folder before I copied the whole thing to my device. Games that use .m3u include Metal Gear Solid 2 (2 discs) and the Final Fantasy games, and a .cue-based game would be something like Wipeout 3, in which the music track information resides in the .cue.
  • On the subject of Wipeout 3, while the game did successfully launch and run in Retroarch, none of the CD music was audible. I have verified that the game does in fact work with the CD audio on my computer, and I'm not sure what I need to modify to get it working correctly on my Android device.
  • Related to that issue: Currently, I cannot specify which file LB needs to launch. So in other words, I'd like to configure LB to use the .cue file to launch Wipeout 3, instead of the .iso. Are there plans to include such an option?

Dreamcast Emulation
Using Retroarch+Flycast

• More of a comment than a question: I had to manually add the BIOS files to my Retroarch folder in order to get these games to work. Same goes for PS1 games. Really, just add all the BIOS files you have to the /system folder in your Retroarch folder.

Retroarch General

• Is there a way to use custom overlays/bezels? I was able to somehow load my PS1 bezel, but I could still see the controller button overlays. As far as I can tell, there's no way to just have the bezel, and not the overlay. Anyone know of a solution?

I had other questions, but I can't think of them right now. Suffice to say that this is a fantastic start, and I can't wait to see what other features come on down the road. Thanks!

Edited by tycho1974
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tycho1974 said:

I noticed that when exporting out of LB, some of my PSX roms didn't make the journey. The files that launch (on my main Windows LB build) from a .pbp or .bin transferred fine, but any file that used a .cue or .m3u didn't. I had to manually add the .iso and .m3u files to the LB folder before I copied the whole thing to my device. Games that use .m3u include Metal Gear Solid 2 (2 discs) and the Final Fantasy games, and a .cue-based game would be something like Wipeout 3, in which the music track information resides in the .cue.

There is a known issue where if the game has multiple files, it will only copy the one file that is referenced, sans for .bin and .cue files that are named exactly the same (those are copied together). We will be improving this in the future to a certain extent, but unfortunately it's probably never going to be perfect.

On the subject of Wipeout 3, while the game did successfully launch and run in Retroarch, none of the CD music was audible. I have verified that the game does in fact work with the CD audio on my computer, and I'm not sure what I need to modify to get it working correctly on my Android device.

I don't have any clue on this for the moment; this question may be better asked on the Retroarch forums.

Related to that issue: Currently, I cannot specify which file LB needs to launch. So in other words, I'd like to configure LB to use the .cue file to launch Wipeout 3, instead of the .iso. Are there plans to include such an option?

Currently it will launch whichever file was specified as the launch file on the desktop. Editing features are coming soon though.

Is there a way to use custom overlays/bezels? I was able to somehow load my PS1 bezel, but I could still see the controller button overlays. As far as I can tell, there's no way to just have the bezel, and not the overlay. Anyone know of a solution?

I don't know of a solution there; honestly I haven't ever tried overlays or bezels on Android.

• Thanks 1