LaunchBox Community Forums

Big Box frozen after quitting a game

Skyroller

Hello,

I am a very frequent Big Box user and this is an issue that I have only noticed since v10.3 and now in v10.4. Half the time everything still works perfectly. Half the time after quitting a game, Big Box will come back and hang with only the box art showing. The Big Box functionality isn't totally dead, you can hit enter and it will re-load the game you were just playing (since the most recently selected option was, of course, "Play Game"). I can hear the cursor moving up and down the invisible menu if I press the arrow keys. However you can't navigate away from the hung screen and I need to force quit Big Box, even if I knew exactly how to navigate to the quit blindly.

EDIT: After some more testing, it doesn't seem to work 100% right in any case. It seems like the problem falls into one of two buckets seemingly at random:

Case A detailed above

Case B: When a game is selected, Big Box starts to pull up the Game Details screen but also immediately launches the game. (Note: The Skip Game Details option is not, nor has ever been checked). Now when the game is quit there is no "Game Over" screen, but it exits fine back to the Game Details menu.

I can tell whether or not Big Box will break upon exiting a game by whether or not it correctly loads the Game Details screen before launching the game. Correct Game Details = Broken upon exiting. Skips Game Details = Okay upon exiting.

Edited by Skyroller

Hi @Skyroller, as far as I know this is not happening for most people, so we'll need to troubleshoot to figure out why it might be happening on your machine. What version of Windows are you running? What controllers are you using? Does it happen if you use the keyboard instead of the controller? Do you have startup and/or pause screens enabled? Does disabling those fix it?

Startup and pause screens are enabled, but disabling has no effect. I am running on the latest standard version of Windows 10. I am currently a Dual Shock 4 (PS4) controller for input, using the official Sony adapter for bluetooth.

However you are on to something with the controller, because I had an issue every time I launched a game with the controller, but every time I did it using the enter key on the keyboard it worked perfectly.

12 hours ago, Skyroller said:

Startup and pause screens are enabled, but disabling has no effect. I am running on the latest standard version of Windows 10. I am currently a Dual Shock 4 (PS4) controller for input, using the official Sony adapter for bluetooth.

However you are on to something with the controller, because I had an issue every time I launched a game with the controller, but every time I did it using the enter key on the keyboard it worked perfectly.

Okay, well that's good to know. I haven't seen this reported by anyone else (yet), so it doesn't seem to be a widespread issue, but it's still something that we should figure out. Does it still happen if you plug your PS4 controller in via USB? Do you have any other controllers to test?

If I had to guess, it's most likely a driver issue of some sort (most likely video drivers). If you can, try running all Windows updates and update to the latest versions of your video drivers.

Alright, I've got it figured out. I did update windows/drivers, but I also noticed that under controller settings the "play" and "select" button were set to the same button. I don't know why, I've never changed it, but once I set the "play" button to null everything works perfectly again.

EDIT: Thanks a lot for helping troubleshoot Jason, hopefully this post can help someone else down the line.

Edited by Skyroller
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Skyroller said:

Alright, I've got it figured out. I did update windows/drivers, but I also noticed that under controller settings the "play" and "select" button were set to the same button. I don't know why, I've never changed it, but once I set the "play" button to null everything works perfectly again.

EDIT: Thanks a lot for helping troubleshoot Jason, hopefully this post can help someone else down the line.

Awesome. So glad it's figured out, and sorry for the trouble there. I'll definitely keep that in mind going forward. At this point, I'm not sure why some users are getting some duplicate bindings after upgrading.