LaunchBox Community Forums

I want to have separate platforms for Neo Geo MVS & Neo Geo AES, but since they both use the same rom files, I want to point them to the same rom & media files. What's the best way to do this?

PurpleTentacle

What I have right now is my Neo Geo romset (Ghostware) imported simply as Neo Geo, with the RetroArch Final Burn Alpha core set as the default emulator. Most games run fine, but a few games, like Battle Flip Shot, won't run under any RetroArch core that I've tried. Also, in Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings 2 & 3, I don't get sound past the menu (initial sound is fine, for reasons beyond me). 

Anyway, the important thing to me is trying to get it setup so that I have both a MVS & a AES platform/playlist so that choosing which version to play is as simple as choosing the right category. My plan was to make separate config files for the Final Burn Alpha core with one set with MVS as the default, and one as AES as the default.

Unfortunately, when I create a "SNK Neo Geo MVS" platform, even if I tell it to scrape as "Arcade" (done through editing the Platform to default as scraping as Arcade), it still scrapes as SNK Neo Geo MVS (which doesn't have as many media files). When I name the platform simply "Neo Geo", it's fine. So my question is, how do I get it so that I use those files downloaded under the Neo Geo platform for 2 separate Platforms/Playlists so that I don't have to have 2 sets of the same files? I was planning on importing as "SNK Neo Geo MVS" as my basis for a "SNK Neo Geo AES" playlist that has the option selected to appear under the Platform list (with only the games that were released for AES), but how to then set it so only that playlist uses a AES config for the Final Burn Alpha core (I could easily do this if it was a Platform, but to my knowledge, I would have to reimport everything... or can I point the Platform to those same folders?

I attempted to create a Platform named "SNK Neo Geo AES", but then changed all the folders to the Neo Geo folders, but when I tried to scan to add new roms to the AES platform, it only imported 2 games (I think those 2 were ones I removed from the Neo Geo Platform because one was the Neo Geo CD bios & the other was a Korean version of Art of Fighting 3, but Art of Fighting did latch onto the image & video files in the Neo Geo folders).

Any ideas? I hope I explained that well enough.

Actually, I may have figured out how to add the games to the SNK Neo Geo AES Platform while pointing to the same roms that are already there. I had to do, "Force Import Duplicates" when importing. I was afraid that might might a second copy in the same folder, but from what I can tell, it didn't. 

Now I just have to figure out the best way to make a AES & MVS config for RetroArch, and have RetroArch load that with the Final Burn Alpha core.