LaunchBox Community Forums

Creating a Launchbox collection on ext and moving to int. C drive?

cleverest

Is this possible?

I need to create an initial set on a portable hdd, but I can't set the portable drive to C letter...wanting it to be playable on C after I copy it over to internal C drive on some secindary systems I have.

How can I ensure my retroarch and other emulators are relative?  I realize this goes beyond launchbox questions, but what about LaunchBox itself?...do I need to change any configs before I copy it over?

Thanks for any tips.

The nice thing about LaunchBox is that it's portable. I copy my collection from one computer to another quite often.

One of the main things to make sure emulators work as a relative installation is to not use installers to install them, at least when possible. For instance, on the RetroArch download page, you can see that for Windows there's the option to download the Installer, and right below that, it says "Download". You just want to download the 64 bit Windows version, and then extract it under LaunchBox's emulator folder. After that, you add RetroArch as an emulator within LaunchBox, and it will add it (just a side note, I'm not sure if the RetroArch installer makes RetroArch non-portable, but I do know that the "Download" version will be portable).

Most emulators I use are portable, but every now & again you'll get one that needs specified folders or have INI files that have specific folder paths in them. Dolphin, the Gamecube/Wii emulator, for example, does have a specific folder path that it uses to store the game files. Fortunately, LaunchBox removes the need for Dolphin to search in specific folders, but if you open Dolphin by itself, it won't show any games like it normally would (which is fine, since LaunchBox will organize the games). Other things might break, like if an emulator keeps a list of "recently played" games, the folder paths in the INI file might not be relevant anymore when you move everything, but again, not a huge deal.

Not really a whole lot you have to do with LaunchBox to make it portable, but the biggest one is to make sure that when you import your games, to either copy or move the game files instead of using them in their current location (the exception to this is if your game files are already in LaunchBox's game folder, in which case, you can just use them in their current location when you're importing them). This comes up when you import your games. A window will pop up asking you which you prefer. 

There's a video showing you a bit of the process here.

Also, if you want to make ScummVM portable, I highly recommend using EpicFail's ScummVM launcher

• Thanks 1