LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME Atari 2600 / EXPERT11 / APPLE2P won't open

rcoltrane

First of all, I've read all tutorials and searched for help on Youtube videos but all of them are using retroarch to run systems such as Atari 2600 / MSX / Apple II Plus systems. But I don't want to use retroarch at all, since the most current MAME version (0.217) emulates these systems with much more accuracy.

With that said, I've all these platforms included with its respective files in Launchbox and I've tested my commandlines at DOS comant prompt without any issues. But when I try to insert my commandlines in Launchbox, it refuses to work. It says that the rom file is not present in the software lists and quits the emulation. How am I supposed to setup an Atari 2600 / Expert11 or Apple II+ game to run through Launchbox? An example would be nice.

Sorry if this is answered somewhere else, I could not find it. Thanks!

55 minutes ago, rcoltrane said:

But I don't want to use retroarch at all, since the most current MAME version (0.217) emulates these systems with much more accuracy.

I can't say any regarding the accuracy of Mames MSX and Apple II Plus emulation but I can say with great certainty that Mame is no where near as good as Stella (stand alone and RA core). Stella is the gold standard when it comes to 2600 emulation.

As for getting consoles working with Mame we have an entire thread for it here:

Arcade:

On 1/4/2020 at 4:31 PM, Lordmonkus said:

Arcade doesn't need any parameters at all, they do have different check box requirements in Launchbox though.

I agree that for the most part you don't need to specify custom parameters, but if  you use shaders to give arcade games a much better look, extra parameters are required.